1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

very happy not to be burning wood this yr!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by crossout, Jan 21, 2012.

1. crossout

crossout Member

Loc:
    lakeview michigan
    rented a house last yr with 2 wood stoves and the place was rigged up with fuel oil furnace and man the biggest mistake in my life to rent out a place like that!.. i am so happy i get heat included in rent in my new place its always 75 and i get to sleep good at night and not have to worry about the wood stove burning the house down or fire going out and wake up to 60 lol glad to join in this site last yr i did learned alot! since it was my 1st yr burning wood..and did not counted on doing it 24 hrs a day which i ended up doing cause its not worth 300-700 a month on fuel oil! and to that guy that gave out free samples of super cedar was awesome! I'll never forget that and would buy them in the near future for campfires and recommended them to people that i know burns wood..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I can't imagine not burning wood, you will find that most people on here burn because they want to, not out of necessity. The people that have to burn seem to be ok without learning more about it. I'm glad you had a good experience. By the way,I'm one of those that has to, I couldn't afford this all electric heat.
  3. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    I've lived in my house 21 years now. Back when oil was .75 a gallon I didn't mind using oil to heat the house. I even had the fireplace going every weekend from Oct through Apr. I enjoy the ambiance of a fire. When oil was near $5.00 a gallon back in 2008, I said enough is enough. Now I get to enjoy a nice fire and heat the entire house from Oct to Apr! I guess we all have options and we do what we feel is best!
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I can't imagine not burning wood either and not because I have to. I have a well insulated home with cheap natural gas heat so wood burning is more of a lifestyle than necessity. I think I would miss it, and not like one might miss a wart that was removed either.
  5. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i started out of necessity cause i couldn't afford it either. while i probably could now, i hate the thought of giving up $3.30 or more for gas let alone fuel oil. i'll scrounge or cut what i can and buy the rest and still come out way ahead.

cass
  6. Retreadsme

Retreadsme Member

Loc:
    NW TN
    My problem is that there are too many nice stoves made and I would like to buy one of each! I've heated with NatGas, Electric, Propane, and Wood with wood requiring the most effort, providing the most satisfaction, and feeling better than any of the others.
  7. chipsoflyin

chipsoflyin Member

Loc:
    nw ohio
    With near fifty percent of our money going to taxes, any chance I get to stick to the man I'll gladly take. The green factor is icing on the cake
  8. crossout

crossout Member

Loc:
    lakeview michigan
    i think i would liked it better if they had a newer stoves and not a 32 and 45 yr old wood stove they would hog up a full cord of wood a month 150 is better then 300-700 a month! lol but what i missed is the 2000 suq ft space and all.. and i really feel sorry for who ever brought or rented that house last i knew fuel oil is over 4 bucks a gal i paid over 2.90 a gal last yr
  9. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    +1

I also have that "I would like to buy one of each" feeling - not very practical with stoves. Have to stick with collecting coins and wine (not always that practical, either, LOL).

I'm quite sure wood-burning has become an addiction for me, almost literally. I know I would suffer some serious withdrawal symptoms if I tried quitting. Thank heavens it saves money instead of costing money.
  10. Angelo C

Angelo C Member

Loc:
    Peoples Republic of NJ
    you do realize this is "hearth".com and not "no hearth" .com
    I'm thinkin you're on the wrong site if you want sympathy.
    Last time I checked "Sympathy" was in the dictionary between "s--t" and "syphilis"...
  11. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    sounds like a drag, i make 1 fire a day when i wake up. house is between 85 and 65. not a problem at all and gas bill is less then $40 a month!!!!!
  12. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Sort of confused as to the purpose for this blog.
  13. Trktrd

Trktrd Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Arkansas
    Need to move over to "the landlord pays for the heat.com"
  14. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    I think he is saying he did it out of necessity financially. He was using two OLD stoves which is not the most pleasant experience if you are new and is now glad to have his heat included with the rent. Sounds like an appreciative farewell notice to the site.
  15. Angelo C

Angelo C Member

Loc:
    Peoples Republic of NJ
    very well said. I wish I had the kindness and soul searching ability to have produced such kind and sympathetic words. Not me, all I heard was waaaa waaaa waaa woa is me.
  16. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Troublemaker!
  17. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    Yes! You rang?
  18. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Not you! The guy that come here bragging about free oil heat.
  19. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    So why put up a response at all if it's just going to be the drivel you spit out in your post #9 above? :mad:
  20. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    + 1

Not every post requires a response.
  21. Angelo C

Angelo C Member

Loc:
    Peoples Republic of NJ
    So both of you took the time to respond about not responding....
  22. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We went 10 yrs. without burning wood because of the work it would take to properly install as stove, a reasonably tight house and we were side-tracked raising a young family. Withdrawals and frequent outages cured that quickly when we moved out of Seattle. There's nothing like a 7 day power outage in winter to convince one of the value of wood heat.
  23. crossout

crossout Member

Loc:
    lakeview michigan
    you got that right!...
  24. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Ya, you may have enjoyed it- or been less put out at least- with more efficient stoves, but install etc for a couple years operation would have cost more than oil.
  25. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    If you are forced into burning wood out of necessity and are ill prepared for it resource wise it can be a less than desireable experience! I am glad this site was able to help you through that situation and hope that some day you get to experience the joys of heating with seasoned wood and a nice EPA approved stove, you may just find it an enjoyable experience.