1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Very hard wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by manfred, Sep 8, 2010.

1. manfred

manfred Member

Loc:
    okla
    I cut a dead red oak yesterday that was so hard I expected to see sparks from my chain!
    What causes wood to get this hard after it has been dead for awhile?
    It looks like it will really burn good.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    The other day I cut about a cord of black locust that was standing dead until the bark was falling off, and I did see sparks... lots of them. Brand new chain needs sharpening already.

I don't know the biological reason, but it seems that any kind of standing dead tree gets sort of petrified after a while. Even the pine and spruce trees in the forests I camp in get hard as a rock, ringing like a bell when I hit them with the back of my bow saw. Best campfire wood there is IMO.
  3. albertj03

albertj03 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I usually cut a few standing dead red oaks every fall and the wood usually has a very very thin layer of rot on the outside but the rest of the wood is super hard and dense. I usually get a moisture reading between 10 - 20% and the stuff burns great. Most of the time these are dead off-shoots of a large living oak so they aren't to big and the top is typically rotted out. I just cut some the other day and found it fairly easy to split with my Fiskars Super Splitter. I love cutting stuff like this and being able to burn it right away.
  4. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Just pointing out the obvious, green wood cuts way easier than seasoned wood.