1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Very Humid, Toilets are Sweating

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    We only have 1 window unit cooling about 900 sq ft. If you count the whole house :) It is in the only "normal" window we have as the rest are all crank out windows. It is in my husbands collection room in the window facing the bedroom, we keep the door open obviously and have a pedestal fan in the doorway to help push the air around upstairs. Downstairs is all stone so its usually cooler anyway. We've been here 10 years with the same set up, first year we have all this moisture! I threatened to fire up the stove tonight just to dry the place out ;)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is a good reason to space the toilet tank at least an inch off the wall to allow ventilation. Otherwise there is going to be a healthy colony of black mold growing back there.
    SmokeyTheBear and heat seeker like this.
  3. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Velvet, I have no AC, only in my office and bedroom. It is 90+ degrees here lately, inside home 85degrees when I got home today, same yesterday. I like to shower with cooler sometimes cold water. Even mild warmer showers will make a difference. I also leave the door open &/or run the exhaust fan. My water is well and never took temp but it is cold. My tank is not sweating at all.
    Now when there was the lil woman here, and her "scorching hot" showers & closed door, the humidity in the bathroom caused the tanks to sweat.
    YOu may want to try some adjustments of shower temps and ventilation of moisture while shower, and this may be simple enough to solve your problem. If not, then you may want to consider the valve. Everything else I researched about this before, said the tray & insulations kits were a waste of money and did not solve the issue.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    We only run one window A/C unit and while it can't keep the temperature constant inside the house once the outside temperature goes above 85 or so, it does an excellent job of keeping the humidity down.
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    After re-reading, I'm not sure - are the insides of your toilet tanks insulated?

If not, get some foam board & silicone caulk & do that.

I thought that was standard stuff on toilet tanks for a long time now. Ours are 17 years old, on the low end as far as toilet price goes, & they came insulated. The only time we see sweats is if something sticks in the tank & water is constantly running through, which has gotten to be a rare occurance (knock on wood) - although our climate isn't quite as bad for things sweating as other places. I think the last thing I would do is use hot water to get rid of it - heating water for that would just grate at me like a chalkboard on fingernails.
  6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Ours are (not) insulated. No sweat yesterday. -edited
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    No OEM insulation on my new toilets. They are the fancy dual flush too.
  8. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    Keep an eye out for a small inexpensive dehumidifier if you can find a spot for one. The whole bathroom will be warm and dry year-round, towels will be dry, and toilet won't sweat.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We will be remodeling our bathroom and our new toilet will be insulated. You can buy them that way and it does not cost much extra.