Veteran's Day wood work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe13

Oct 8, 2014
York, ME
I am fortunate enough to have Veteran's Day off, so I took advantage of the 50 degree weather and sunshine to move forward on my wood stash. I had attempted to drop a Shagbark hickory about two weeks ago and succeeded in getting it hung up in another tree. Luckily, I am having my home built and the site guy was nice enough to pull it down for me. The day was quite the lesson in saw maintenance and some idiot checks. Saw was cutting kinda hard and not liking the hickory. I thought i might have a oiling issue so i took the bar and chain off for the first time. Cleaned it all out, found no issue and got it installed and tensioned. went to test it on a piece of ash and couldn't make a cut worth a damn :mad: take a look at the saw and realize i had installed the chain backwards;em fixed it, put a good sharpen on the chain, greased the spindle and went to town. Saw cut like a dream! I was able to start processing the hickory and got to use my Fiskar X27 for the first time. What a slick tool that is! Anyway, onto the pictures!

I forgot a pic at the end of the day, mostly due to being beat, but I am currently sitting at around 1.4 cords in all. its mostly Ash, with a little hickory and white oak mixed in. I still have about half of the shagbark to process, but that will be for another day! Moisture reading on it was around 35-40%.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I would suggest to keep that pile uncovered for the first year. Maybe a hard cover to keep out the debris, but not a soft cover. It will hold in the moisture and out the sunshine.

Reactions: Joe13
I would suggest to keep that pile uncovered for the first year. Maybe a hard cover to keep out the debris, but not a soft cover. It will hold in the moisture and out the sunshine.

The hickory just has a sheet of ply over it, all the sides are exposed. I figured its going to shed a lot of water this first year. The ash has the soft cover, and its only the top.

Been there, done that.

fv

Reactions: Joe13
Status
Not open for further replies.