Victorian cast inset fireplace... I dont get it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trixitrine

Hearth Supporter
Hello all! I just bought my first home, a federation style home that has a fireplace! Im very excited... But... The fireplace has a cast insert in victorian style, and I have seen plenty of these, especially on the british tv shows, but I honestly dont understand them, I have never seen one working. The cavity just so small... where am I supposed to put the wood? or are they meant for use with coal?
It seems as though I would need to put twigs in it.... ?

It looks similar to this:

RX003.jpg

That looks really nice. I think it is used for coal . Is there a shaker great to remove the ash? . Is there a air vent under the great ? You could burn wood in a coal stove , You just use chunks .

Thanx so much for your reply! Ash drawer, it has. air vent I dunno... ok so maybe coal... I was mainly worried, that I would end up with a fireplace that I couldn't sit back and watch the open flames... lol Im sure I could remove the cast insert if I wanted an open fire?

I second thinking its made for coal burning. Not sure how much flame your going to get.

get some good lignite or other high vol soft coal (bituminous or whatever is available) and burn it. soft coal is redily avaliable in austrailia and that is what your fireplace was designed for. enjoy a coal fire!

yes, you get lots of flame from soft coal such as what your fireplace was designed for and pretty much the only thing found in australia. it is brighter orange than wood and puts out more light, and definately more heat once it has been burning for a little while. look for some chunks (5+cm if possible) of "high volitile" coal. you will be able to find a source after a little bit of searching, look for industries that burn coal, coal mines, coal yards etc in your area, even if they are not in the business of selling small amounts of coal to individuals, they will likely sell you some; coal is incredibly cheap, be prepared to not pay much for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.