Video Review of Clean Flame Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
I first became interested in Clean Flame Logs after I learned that they are made from recycled cardboard, that would otherwise go into landfills.

I called the company to see if they would send me a sample to try out. Clean Flame Logs sent me a box of six logs and I used three of them for this review. I was not paid to make this review.

Here is the review:

Some additional thoughts:

There are many different types of compressed logs available but they are usually made of wood scraps and sawdust. I was impressed that someone had found a way to take a fuel source that is usually thrown away and turn it into a product that can reduce the use of heating oil, gas, and wood.

As it turns out, Clean Flame Logs are made from a special type of cardboard, that is, wax cardboard for transporting vegetables. I was skeptical about burning logs made with wax until I learned that it is actually a high quality wax that is food grade safe. The company says this promotes a very clean burn, hence the name, Clean Flame Logs.

Here is what Clean Flame says about their logs on their website: http://www.cleanflame.com/

-Made from 100% recycled cardboard instead of it going into landfills.
-Saves trees and reduces landfill waste
-Burns cleanly enough to cook over
-Generates 86% less creosote, 80% less carbon monoxide, and 30% less particulate -matter than natural wood
-Single five-pound log burns up to three hours
-Won't spark, drip, or melt
-Safe for stacking, poking, stirring, burning in woodstoves, burning in combination with natural wood
-Free of pest infestation
-Approximate heat value: 13,000 BTUs (five-pound log)
-Made in the USA

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm
What are they selling for? They seem to have a pretty short life as compared to highly compressed logs like NIELs or Prest-Logs. But if the price is less maybe that is less of an issue. Do they say what binds the cardboard? What was the stove temp at 6 hrs?

What are they selling for? They seem to have a pretty short life as compared to highly compressed logs like NIELs or Prest-Logs. But if the price is less maybe that is less of an issue. Do they say what binds the cardboard?
I am not sure what they sell for since the company sent me a free sample to try out. I have not used any other compressed logs so I don't have a comparison of how long others last. I am sure the CleanFlame logs would have lasted longer if I had used more than 3 logs at a time or if I mixed them with cord wood.

As for binders, the logs are made from recycle vegetable boxes that have a food-grade safe wax. From the CleanFlame website, it says that many other compressed logs (such as Duraflame) use coconut oil for binders but this ends up causing all sorts of horrible environmental problems from over-harvesting of coconut trees.

I am impressed with their product's performance as compared to cord wood with the CleanFlame logs generating:
  • 86% less creosote
  • 80% less carbon monoxide
  • 30% less particulate matter than natural wood

Last edited:
Very nice product and good video review. I don't generally stuff my stoves, but 3, maybe 4 hours is tops for me. I am attracted to putting less in a landfill. But what I can't quite figure out is how the product saves trees. Are they saying that I don't have to cut and split if I burn it? Since the cardboard can't be re-used, the same number of trees are going into new wax-cardboard.

If someone was diligent about only burning standing dead, then that would make their logic a little thin. Anyway, intriguing product, and they do have local stores that carry the product. I'll use the phone before I make the trip. ;) If they stocked it, they may be sold out.

Very nice product and good video review. I don't generally stuff my stoves, but 3, maybe 4 hours is tops for me. I am attracted to putting less in a landfill. But what I can't quite figure out is how the product saves trees. Are they saying that I don't have to cut and split if I burn it? Since the cardboard can't be re-used, the same number of trees are going into new wax-cardboard.

If someone was diligent about only burning standing dead, then that would make their logic a little thin. Anyway, intriguing product, and they do have local stores that carry the product. I'll use the phone before I make the trip. ;) If they stocked it, they may be sold out.
Yes, good questions and comments.

You save trees by using any alternative fuel product, such as compressed logs like CleanFlame, rather than cutting down living trees to burn.

However, if a person is only burning wood from standing dead trees, then burning compressed logs does not save living trees.

But, there are also many other advantages to burning with CleanFlame over cord wood, such as:
  • 86% less creosote,
  • 80% less carbon monoxide
  • 30% less particulate-matter
  • No potential for bug infestation
CleanFlame logs and other compressed logs can make a smart alternative to those who don't have a supply of dead wood.

I like the idea - having worked in a grocery store with produce that came in those boxes (broccoli, asparagus... the cardboard is waxed so water dripping off the produce won't wreck the box integrity I believe), I hated throwing out those boxes because it seemed like such a waste; that waxed cardboard can't be recycled like normal cardboard and just wound up being tossed in with the trash. I could see augmenting my cord wood with some of these; my wife is still timid about starting fires, and these would be good training wheels.

I like the idea - having worked in a grocery store with produce that came in those boxes (broccoli, asparagus... the cardboard is waxed so water dripping off the produce won't wreck the box integrity I believe), I hated throwing out those boxes because it seemed like such a waste; that waxed cardboard can't be recycled like normal cardboard and just wound up being tossed in with the trash. I could see augmenting my cord wood with some of these; my wife is still timid about starting fires, and these would be good training wheels.
Yes, since the logs are dry and come in a paper sleeve, they are a little easier to get going!

I like that they are recycling a waste product though I would like to see the actual testing results for them. Burning petroleum (wax) is not without its own pollutants.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I am not sure what they sell for since the company sent me a free sample to try out. I have not used any other compressed logs so I don't have a comparison of how long others last. I am sure the CleanFlame logs would have lasted longer if I had used more than 3 logs at a time or if I mixed them with cord wood.

As for binders, the logs are made from recycle vegetable boxes that have a food-grade safe wax. From the CleanFlame website, it says that many other compressed logs (such as Duraflame) use coconut oil for binders but this ends up causing all sorts of horrible environmental problems from over-harvesting of coconut trees.

Nice video review.
But just to clarify; food grade wax is made from petroleum, coconut oil is made from coconuts, not coconut trees, so by most environmental standards, the coconut oil logs would be more environmentally friendly and sustainable than the petroleum based logs.

I like that they are recycling a waste product though I would like to see the actual testing results for them. Burning petroleum (wax) is not without its own pollutants.
Yes, this was also a concern of mine as well. Here is what the CleanFlame website has to say about this in their FAQ.

"Why does wax-coated cardboard make a superior fuel source?

The highest quality food-grade wax is used in the FDA approved process for packaging perishable foods for shipping to market. This high-BTU wax burns hot and clean with very mild, candle-like smoke. The compressed corrugations of the cardboard have a memory, and when each successive layer is heated, the energy of the compressed corrugations relaxes. This forms natural veins for airflow, which stimulates the burn. Independent testing conducted by Omni Consulting Services, Inc., confirms that 100% recycled CleanFlame FireLogs burn cleaner and yield greater flame optics and heat per pound than either firewood or other manufactured firelogs."
http://cleanflame.com/faq.aspx#7

Nice video review.
But just to clarify; food grade wax is made from petroleum, coconut oil is made from coconuts, not coconut trees, so by most environmental standards, the coconut oil logs would be more environmentally friendly and sustainable than the petroleum based logs.
Thanks so much for catching my mistake. I got my oils mixed up. I mean palm oil, not coconut oil. Here is info about the problems of Palm oil from Cleanflame:

"Why doesn’t CleanFlame™advocate the use of palm oil, which is a common ingredient in other manufactured logs?

Palm oil as typically harvested is NOT “green.” 85% of the world’s palm oil exports come from plantations in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Papua New Guinea, which have been linked to human rights abuses and are a major driver of rainforest destruction, threatening highly endangered species including the Sumatran tiger, Sumatran elephants and the Orangutan. A backlash against the use of palm oil is currently building in the eco-conscious community. For example, Whole Foods Market has notified its suppliers that it will no longer accept palm oil as an ingredient in its private-label products as of 2012 without third-party certification that the oil has been sustainably harvested. Wal-Mart has recently announced the same plan, with a target date of 2015."
Source: http://cleanflame.com/faq.aspx

Here are some other sources documenting the problems of palm oil as well:

http://www.wwf.org.au/our_work/saving_the_natural_world/forests/palm_oil/palm_oil_and_deforestation/

http://www.orangutan.org.au/palm-oil

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I found a very similar (maybe the same product) at our local Walmart or big box store and tried it out. http://www.enviro-log.net/
I broke the large logs into smaller pieces and used them as starters.
I did have one problem with them though. Apparently the waxed dripped off and entered the air inlet doghouse on our Oslo. When the stove cooled the air control lever was seized. I had to clean the wax out to free the air control.

I found a very similar (maybe the same product) at our local Walmart or big box store and tried it out. http://www.enviro-log.net/
I broke the large logs into smaller pieces and used them as starters.
I did have one problem with them though. Apparently the waxed dripped off and entered the air inlet doghouse on our Oslo. When the stove cooled the air control lever was seized. I had to clean the wax out to free the air control.
This is a good question. I know that CleanFlame sells its product under different private labels. I have not seen any trace of wax after burning the CleanFlame logs. I will look into this and get back to you.

This is a good question. I know that CleanFlame sells its product under different private labels. I have not seen any trace of wax after burning the CleanFlame logs. I will look into this and get back to you.
Just to be clear I've never seen any residue other than that which futzed up our air control. I can only assume that wax melted off before it had a chance to burn and dripped into the doghouse. The grate on the bottom of the firebox has always stayed clean.

Here is an update on the pricing on the CleanFlame logs.

You should be able to find a case of six logs for about $18.

I am not sure if they can be bought in bulk but I will look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.