VIGILANT PRIMARY AIR PORTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olor42

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2008
SE Mass
STILL TRYING TO FIND OUT WHY THE OLD VIGILANT I BOUGHT DOESN'T HAVE THE PRIMARY AIR PORTS ON THE FIREBACK. I HAVE SEEN A FEW PICTURES OF OTHER VIGILANTS OF THE SAME ERA AND THERE ARE FIVE AIR PORTS ALONG THE BACK WALL.THE VIGILANT I HAVE IS AN EARLY MODEL WITH THE SHORT DOORS, ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS

How old are you talking?

I have a Vigilant from 1980 and it has a single primary air port on the back bottom left (looking from the front) with an thermostatic air door. and a secondary door on the left with a swing door

PunKid8888 said:
How old are you talking?

I have a Vigilant from 1980 and it has a single primary air port on the back bottom left (looking from the front) with an thermostatic air door. and a secondary door on the left with a swing door

Yep, mine too.

I DON'T MEAN THE PRIMARY AIR INLET ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STOVE, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PORTS ON THE INSIDE OF THE STOVE ON THE FIREBACK JUST BELOW THE "1977".THEY SEEM TO BE MISSING ON MY STOVE. ANY CLUES AS TO WHY.

olor42 said:
I DON'T MEAN THE PRIMARY AIR INLET ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STOVE, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PORTS ON THE INSIDE OF THE STOVE ON THE FIREBACK JUST BELOW THE "1977".THEY SEEM TO BE MISSING ON MY STOVE. ANY CLUES AS TO WHY.

Could ya hit the caps lock button for me?

In regards to the stove, not sure what to tell you. Mine has them. I don't know if later models did away with them or not. Is there any chance the stove was 'repaired' at some point? Have you fired up the stove previously? If so, is it running ok? And what do you mean by 'short doors'?

Sorry about the caps, I have had the stove for awhile but have never installed or fired it. the "repaired" idea seems pretty likely, I think I'll try to make a template from pictures or another stove and drill the ports out. I'll let know how i make out. oh, and about the "short doors", I believe the first vigilants were made with shorter doors than subsequent models.

I think I have 5 or six equally spaced holes. Have you tried scraping that surface, I had one that was completely plugged when I got it used and I did not even know it was there until I hit it with a wire brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.