Vigilant Rebuild Time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Oct 18, 2006
Sorry for posting twice in such a short time period, I posted last night asking about efficient alternatives to my Vigilant. Afterwards I explored the forums and found the "Struggle" thread. I'm now thinking a wiser option is to just rebuild the stove I have. It's in good shape, but I'm pretty sure it's needs some TLC.

I'm wondering how long it usually takes to tear down and rebuild one of these puppies and if it's something I can do now or should I wait until summer? Last year I tore apart and rebuilt my steam boiler, broke down some radiators, drilled and patched a few with JB weld, etc. I LIKE projects like this... After installing the non-combustible wall, hearth, and Vigilant, I've used the boiler 3 times this season (YAY!). So I have a back up if I have to take the woodstove offline. It's burning fine, I just don't have the control I'd like and I certainly don't hear any "sucking" from the secondary air intake. I'm psyched to rip this apart and make it work "right" - just not sure about the timing.

Thanks for any thoughts.
cheers
J~

I don't know about a VC stove but I did a total rebuild on a Jotul cast iron stove in five hours in September. The most time was taken up getting the old furnace cement out of the joints. When they call it "cement" they mean it.

So considering I'm a newbie to the stove thing, I should assume it will take a weekend? :)

Thanks for the post, it gave me hope! :)

cheers
John

Dylan said:
Depending upon where your stove is located, and where you wanna perform the rebuild, my guess is that, assuming you have everything you need at hand, you'll spend about as much taking the unit out-of-service, moving it to the bench, moving it back to the hearth and re-installing, as you will spend performing the actual rebuild.

You speak great truth. Fortunately for me I could tear it down five feet from where it was going to be installed since it was in the basement already.

Now if it had been in the family room...

Well, the house is a foreclosure that I'm renovating... the stove is in the backroom off the living room, so I could tear it apart in there and rebuild as long as I put down some thick dropcloths which I have...

I've seen folks allude to the light test, is that better than looking at the stove when there is a blazing fire in there? I do have a 500 watt work light I could stick in there. :)

Thanks
J~

Status
Not open for further replies.