vigilant thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LewB

Dec 31, 2017
New England
Have bought a very well preserved VC Vigilant, plan to replace a few gaskets, give it a coat of paint and install it in the place of a VC Intrepid II. I have burned wood for many years. I am unsure if there is a problem with this thermostat that I should look into. The flapper door does not close against the stove body. The chain is slack and the stove is sitting level. Is this a problem? Thanks for the help. I have read this great forum many times.

to,m=9fb324e0ab3dfb11b1d06cf8da15e422,x=,t=25-iv382?key=R2hHWU1oWGNPMWI0TmNZRmN5dGlHa0RVTDdaOGh3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With the chain slack, if the stove is level the flapper should close all the way. Check and see if there is debris preventing closure or rusting at the hinge.