1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vigillant vs Defiant

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by 94ranger55, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Redbear86

Redbear86 Member

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    Going to take a look at an old Vigilant tomorrow a few hours away and wanted to take my Camry, how hard would it be for me to disassemble this enough to put it in the trunk and other pieces in the front to disperse the weight enough to get it home, or should i quit being so cheap and pay the extra gas money to take the truck?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

I'm not familiar with the trunk of a Camry, but there isn't much on this stove to take apart to make it smaller. Just the feet.

It isn't a typically heavy stove. It is under 400lbs. If the Camry's trunk is large enough, you should be fine. I'd bring the truck, though, just in case the trunk is too small on the Camry.
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Take the truck, and a few planks. Stove will move up planks pretty decently. Dead lifting them into a car's trunk will cost you a poo-load more (in the herniated disk surgery on your back) than the gas money the truck will cost.

pen
  4. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Take the truck. You will regret trying to stick it into a car trunk. No matter what you do, make sure to unscrew the thermostat assembly on the back. It is very fragile and will break off at the mounting block if you bump it, leaving the threaded portion in the block and you will have to drill it out. Don't ask how I found this out. That thermostat is a $30 part, so pay attention to it.