Visible flame gasification unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

in hot water

Jul 31, 2008
SW Missouri
From friends on the floor of the ISH show in Germany today. About 5000 Euros to consumers over there.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-15 at 1.26.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-15 at 1.26.10 PM.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 874
They look nice, don't know about performance.
There's a thread talking about the possibility of glass doors on gasifiers.
Guess this will peak some interest.
Youtube has a video of this boiler working.

Oh man, if my boiler looked like that I would never come out of the basement!

Probably not expected to go in a basement. Less common in many areas of Europe than the USA.

My guess is that it is combined stove/boiler.

If I had a boiler with glass doors burning wood in my basement, I'd worry about broken glass and a fire hazard. Just imagine accidentally closing the door against a log and not noticing a new crack in the glass. As the boiler burns unattended, a chunk of glass falls out. The boiler obviously doesn't realize this and the draft fan keeps blowing, forcing flames out of the broken door. Personally, I like the nice cast iron doors on my boiler. I like to be able to fill it to the top with wood, close the door and forget about it. Remember, with simplicity there is inherent reliability.

The one drawback with a Garn....I never get to see that gassification torch! :(

It's pretty but I still wouldn't want it in the house do to the mess.

I had a Thompson Thelin glass front pot belly stove in two different homes. Rubbing the glass with newspaper kept it fairly clean.

I like the concept of blowerless operation to eliminate the noise issue, especially when it is in the living space.

Having the heat source in a living space forces you to keep the area clean. This unit has a small cooking hot surface also, great for adding some humidity.

Monday the gasoline in Frankfurt was $8.94 a gallon! Heating oil and fuels tend to hover around that high oil cost. I'd be much more solid fuel motivated if our fuel costs were to rise to that level.

Here is a Swiss built radiator and some of the Wilo "micro" circulators. Every heating loop gets a modulation pump of it's own, something like a 5W circ.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 6.40.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 6.40.23 PM.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 6.39.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 6.39.50 PM.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 449
Good Stuff! Keep sending the pics along, always good to see new product. Anything new from Varmebaronen over there?

a few more. A wall mount kindling maker, and a new boiler return valve that we build with a high Cv (Kv x 1.6 = Cv)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 5.12.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 5.12.03 PM.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 10.23.08 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 10.23.08 AM.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 325
DaveBP said:
How long does the glass stay clean, expecially in the primary combustion chamber?

If I understood the video I saw the incoming air flows across the glass to prevent it's getiing soot coated.
Nice looking unit but my home owners insurance would do dances in my pocket book over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.