Visible Smoke From Paint during first firings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

msf227

Jun 13, 2016
Leverett, Massachusetts
i've got a Morso squirrel. During the first 3 fires (I've made them progressively hotter each time), I've noticed a chemical smell and and some smoke coming off the top of the stove. Is this normal? And if so how long will it last? Morso manual acknowledges that there might be a chemical smell while paint is curing, but says nothing about visible smoke...

Yes. There can be faint smoke. Take the stove top up to 550-600F and be done with it.

Yep, seen it before also.

New stoves will routinely set off smoke alarms. You can actually see blue smoke in the air. This is very normal and the installers should have warned you of this.

Yup-we used to burn in stoves outside for this very reason. Before installing it, my father and I would build several fires, allowing the stove to cool completely between firings. After three or four we would install the unit.

Hi Msf227, I am curing my new Morso Squirrel right now! It put off a lot of smoke the first time. Not so much this, the second time, though some smell. How did it go on your first season of burning? Any tips for us as we approach our first season? Thanks!

Your experience is very normal! It shouldn't take that long for the smell and smoke to go away....

More so then paint, would be shipping preservatives and skin oil. Same thing happens with a new grill or a new exhaust on a car. Skin oil also has a pretty horrible smell.

And most of us get a sweet wood stove smell from the first firing each year. As well as each time time you reach a new high temp.

Good luck with the Morso squirrel. I wish I had a place for a small classic Morso stove.