vista overnight burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
Went to bed last night at 10 with a fully loaded vista insert. I'm pretty sure I had pnw maple in it. And fully loaded vista is sort of an oxymoron I admit. I woke up this morning at 6 with a 300 degree stove and a lot of coals in the back for start up. I typically get about 4 hours when don't make an effort to fill it.

Even better I figured out where to aim the fan and what hall doors to open and close to keep the bedrooms nice and warm all night. It was in the low 20's

The furnace didn't kick on once. We have a very closed and partitioned house, so Im really happy with how it burned last night. I've been burning the tiny vista for the last 2 months and just now really figuring out its personality.

I'm hoping to have the keystone installed in the next two weeks. Yee ha

It does take a while to learn a stove's personality, even for seasoned vets. Good to hear the Vista is working out well. That's an impressive burn for soft maple.

Well done! Big Leaf is pretty soft stuff, you must have packed that sucker tight.

The Vista insert is a surprising little stove. I regularly get 4 to 6 hours burns with red and/or white oak without really loading it full. I can have coals the next morning if I stuff it full. The other day I didn't reload in the morning because it was going to be warmer and when I went to light a fire in the evening there were still hot coals buried in the ash at the back of the firebox. It's a great stove for those of us with smaller fireplaces, although I wouldn't want to try to use it as my sole source of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.