vistaflame vf55 whining convection fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
anyone know of a way to quiet this down.i had the fan out today and gave it a good cleaning.stove is up and running again and noise is still there.this is the upgraded fan and it came with the stove.i also ran it out of the stove using a test cord which runs the fan on high and it seemed to run fine.now that it is back in the stove noise is very noticeable on heat setting 1, 2 and 3.
one thing i did notice is that when i had it hooked up to the test cord the round housing at one end of the fan was very hot to touch.

Time for some oil on the bearings I suspect and they all whine, it's harmonics. Sometimes you hear it, sometimes you don't. Usually the motor will be isolated with rubber grommets but those harden with heat eventually. It's a sheet metal assembly, it vibrates, thats what you hear. forgetaboutit....

its definately harmonic.unlike other blowers this one does't have any oil ports.anyone know if oil can be added to this particular blower and if so, where.

No oil ports... No problem. Take a needle oiler or a 3-1 oiler and dribble some on each end by the motor housing...it will get in there....3-1 makes a dandy oiler that looks like an upside down mushroom that works real well.

I picked up some zoom spout oil.. Has a 6 in spout the pulls out the top so you can fish it inside the motor to put a couple drops in the bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.