Vogelzang Mountaineer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlett920

Feb 15, 2008
Fort Scott Kansas
Hello my friend just bought a Mountaineer and I noticed it does not have air tubes in the top like my century 2000 sf does and the fire box looks an awful lot smaller than mine I was wondering if anyone has feedback on how well this stove performs and why it does not have the air tubes like mine? He heats about 2000 sf

It doesn't have air tubes because it is "EPA Exempt". Its not a very effcient wood stove.

Vogelzang stoves meet EPA requirements for "exempt" wood/coal burning appliances (stoves).
http://www.vogelzang.com/vg650elg.htm

Dang, they haven't been sued out of business yet? Just a matter of time I guess.

Them stoves scare me, and I ain't scared of nothin'.

it is about 1 step away from a barrel stove (not sure which direction)

Note that a 35:1 stove with a small firebox can be relatively efficient- because it burns hot. The secondary tubes are mostly for when a unit is turned down low - to continue to allow combustion.

I have seen many decent non-EPA built in fireplaces and even stoves (HearthStone comes to mind - one model used to be this way).

Not saying that these will perform as well as EPA stoves on average, but they certainly can be decent in some cases.

I put some of the old Jotuls in that class too. Once the fire in the 602 was going there was no smoke and after 7 years, virtually no creosote in the stack. Just a little light fluffy stuff.

That Mountaineer is a pretty well built 2.3 or so cubic foot UL standards tested stove that will take a 23" or 24" inch split E/W for $499 at some places. Not all together that bad a deal.

It beats the heck out of some of the old worn out stuff people are going to be paying more for on craigslist this year.

This is off topic but is there any difference between a new cast iron stove and a old one? I have seen a few times people not liking Vogelzang stoves. Just wondering if there not built as strong or if its the fact their cast iron.

My guess would be that a Vogelzang would be decent cast iron. Cast iron is not rocket science, at least not unless you are making car engines or other complicated equipment.

The bad rap comes from the fact that stoves have come a long way in being safer and more efficient....and the V cast stoves are blasts from the past (old designs).

no man said:
This is off topic but is there any difference between a new cast iron stove and a old one? I have seen a few times people not liking Vogelzang stoves. Just wondering if there not built as strong or if its the fact their cast iron.

cast iron is not a bad material at all for a woodstove, the question in the case of the VZ is the quality of the cast iron used as well as the thickness, which is important due to expansion/contraction which opens air leaks and causes runaway combustion AKA uncontrollable fire. there are many wonderful cast iron stoves on the market IMHO VZ isnt one of them.

The Mountaineer is 3/16 plate steel just like Englander stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.