Wall behind stove getting very hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ford88

Dec 20, 2010
Ellenville NEW YORK
I have a pacific super-27 in corner of living room all clearances are good I also went with double pipe from stove up.When I get the stove burning good 500 or so the wall sheetrock behind stove gets very hot you almost can't hold hand on it.Is this ok or should I look in to this and is 500deg to hot for the stove thanks

It will get hot, but should be safe as long as the clearances are correct. Note that 130F feels very hot to the touch, yet is quite a safe temp.

My walls were also getting so hot i couldnt touch them. I purchased a Drolet freestanding heat shield. Got it on amazon. Works great and walls now get no heat from my stove. Looks neat standing behind my stove too.

I had the same problem. When the stove cooled down I screwed a couple of furring strips VERTICALLY on the wall behind the stove, where I knew the wall studs were beneath the drywall. The two furring strips were screwed in 32 inches apart. over the furring strips I screwed in a leftover piece (from a floor tiling project) of 1/4 inch hardi-backer board about 48 inches wide and 36 inches tall, with the bottom of the hardibacker about 3-4 inches above the floor. This created a channel of air that flowed between the hardibacker and the drywall, drawing cooler air from the gap from the floor. It only lessened the rear clearance by less than 1-1/2 inch, but hardibacker isn't flammable. It took about one hour to round up all the supplies and do the project. My wall temps dropped 15 degrees. It isn't very pretty, but I could always tile over it. I was just looking for a quick remedy and this seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.