Wall behind stove on the cheap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
In 3 weeks I am having a new VC Encore stove installed. The installer is using double wall "Ventis" brand pipe (made by Olympia) which will help with heat issues, and the stove has a rear heat shield. My stove pipe and chimney will be going straight up from the stove through the ceiling, attic, and roof.
I have read about putting cement board behind the stove with 1" air space, but I was thinking that some sort of stone or tile on that board would add additional protection and some style, or just skipping the air space and putting something on the wall.
My wife picked out a terracota colored hearth pad, and I am wondering if you folks have some ideas for me. I am not looking to go all the way up to my 8' ceiling, just something taller than the stove and a bit wider. I'm not a bricklayer or a mason, but am very capable of doing most anything I set my mind to.
Suggestions? Point me to some pictures? Point me to a good DIY to do this? The stove plus the install with this better pipe along with the hearth pad is draining my wallet, so I would like to be cost effective, and a matching hearth wall pad gets to be too much of looking at the same thing if you know what I mean.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Do you actually need a wall shield to reduce clearances? There is only a 2" gain for a top exit, double-wall chimney connector, vertical flue with a collar heat shield installed for the oval to round adapter. If you definitely need the wall shield, the stove manual has a good diagram of its construction. It will need the 1" air space, vented at the top and bottom, to qualify as a proper wall shield. There are many examples here in previous threads, most with photos. The gallery also has some beauty shots.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/in-search-of-wall-shield-ideas.124840/
https://www.hearth.com/gall/v/WoodStoves/

I read your question that your install meets the clearance requirements but you just want to decorate the wall in back. Of course you don't need to do anything. Painted drywall or even bare plywood meets the spec so long as that wall is beyond the minimum clearance requirement.

Stone veneer, tile on the wall, slate on the wall, or just paint the wall a different color.

Thank you for the replies.
We were thinking that something other than the painted sheet rock wood ties things together and add a focal point.

Status
Not open for further replies.