wall behind VC vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usoutofvt

Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
nek, vermont
so my wife and i moved into our house last year and were very pleased to have a wood stove in our main living area. the vigilant did a great job heating us all winter up here right next to the canadian border. the one down side was the oh so appealing rhino board covering the walls behind the wood stove. we decided we wanted to put up a rock wall in place of the rhino board this summer...
we have collected all of the rocks we are planning on using (all of which are slate which came out of the stream on our property). all of the rocks are no larger than two inches wide and we are planning (key word: planning) on putting them up in the coming weeks.
we have talked to people about this, a friend/contractor, family (who is knowledgeable about this type of thing) and both have good ideas about going about it. one suggestion is to cut the rhino board to fit between the studs in the wall then spread a thin layer of mortar to the rhino board then drill in large screws into the studs for the mortar between the rocks can grab a hold of the screws.
what are some peoples ideas on how to go about this? i have a couple calls in to local masons to take a look and give us some advice, but the more we get the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.