Wall makeover help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

culleej

Dec 15, 2020
Milwaukee, WI
Hello, let me start by saying I am a novice DIYer trying to make home improvements affordable.

I'm trying to reface my wall up to the mantle as I get ready to have a gas insert installed but have run into some concerns that I'm hoping someone can explain to me.

When I removed the mantle, I found some type of board (what is it?) on top of wood framing. Can I safely replace the board over the wood studs that I ripped out and patch up the wall? Do I have to remove all the wood studs and reframe with steel?

I would then put cement board over the existing brick and reface with either tile or thin brick. IMG_0198.jpg IMG_0199.jpg IMG_0189.jpg

Attachments

• fireplace.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 103
Have you chosen your new insert yet?
The manual will give you the Clearance
to Combustibles requirements & what
is needed to meet those specifications...