Wall material for behind-beside stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
I'm thinking of ripping out my ZC wood burning fireplace insert and making an alcove.. putting a BK Princess Parlor in there..

For the walls of the alcove, what kind of decorative options are there? I've found Versetta Stone panels that are ASTM E84, Class A fire rated. I assume that would work? What has anyone else used?

Manual calls for 10" on the sides and 6" in the back between wall and stove, and I'll be close to that (have a little extra room). So I'd have to fasten the panels to something (durock or gypsum?), with a 1" airspace between the durock and the framing of the old chimney? How's this typically done?

Any help will be appreciated to help me plan before I talk to the city permit folks.

Thanks!
John

What are the clearances on the top? that is where you usually run into trouble with an alcove install. Also what type and size chimney is in there now many times you need to switch out what is there for a vent also. I know nothing about versetta stone panels so I cant give any input there.

The alcove height is 72" minimum and that's no problem with 8' ceilings. The chimney now is the 8" (inside diameter) flue that is connected to the factory fireplace. I expected to have to rip all that out and replace it. By a vent, do you mean a cleaning out vent?

No I was referring to the chimney which is also called a vent when sorry that wasn't clear. I thought you were trying to slide the stove into the old opening I misunderstood i didn't realize you were opening it up to the ceiling.

post up some pictures they are easier to understand, pictures worth 1000 words they say.

The chimney chase is standard wood frame with siding, which I guess is common for these factory built wood fireplaces. The fireplace in there now is not UL 127 rated so I can't just stick an insert in it. BKVP recommended an alcove, so I'm working that idea. Here's a pic of the fireplace in there now.

1604816_691335830908940_704594598_n.jpg

Three sides make up your alcove, just considering the first 4' up. Assuming you have combustible material currently existing. Wonder board, AKA Durock, ( Cement Board). A perimeter of Aluminum square stock, 2x2 with 1-1/2" spacers through the field...This will give you a surface to work with, Tile, Paint, whatever...That Versetta Stone panel stuff is probably pretty pricey, no need to use it...The front edge needs to be concealed with some type of Trim so you cover the 1-1/2" space...stone or making your own concrete panels works well. You can even make your own concrete panels and veneer the alcove over the cement board. If you are venting out the top you can match the detail all the way up to the cieling but narrow it for the stove pipe....

Status
Not open for further replies.