Wall Panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillT

Aug 26, 2008
Moneta, VA
I recently discovered these forums while searching for some wood stove info. I am thinking of finally installing a wood stove in my house. I have had one in a garage, that I actually built myself but that's another story and I do have a good amount of experience with running different kinds of stoves and even installing a couple. But my question today is about Wall Panels that will allow me to place the stove closer to the wall than 36 inches. Which would be the best ones, concerning price along with quality that I could possibly purchase locally? If this has been covered before and someone could direct me to that thread, it would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

I'm gonna jump to a conclusion here. Are you installing an old stove? The reason I ask, is that most newer EPA stoves don't require a 36" clearance on the backside of the stove.

Shields must be made of a non-combustible material, such as cement board or tin. Then spaced from the wall using non-combustible spacers. It must also have an air gap at the top and bottom to allow circulation. Not sure how much reduction in clearances will be gained for your stove. I think there is a basic rule of thumb, but I personally do not know it. NFPA 211 maybe?

Edit: if you have the stove manual, it should be covered there.

Jags,

I haven't bought one yet as I am still doing my "homework". It will most likely be an old stove, but I still may buy a new one, if I can find something that I like for a reasonable price.

I didn't know that some of the new ones could be placed closer than 36. Appreciate that info.

On the shields, do you know of any ready to go brand named products or kits available?

Bill

BillT said:
Jags,

I haven't bought one yet as I am still doing my "homework". It will most likely be an old stove, but I still may buy a new one, if I can find something that I like for a reasonable price.

I didn't know that some of the new ones could be placed closer than 36. Appreciate that info.

On the shields, do you know of any ready to go brand named products or kits available?

Bill

I am not aware of/don't know of any kits or panels specific to this. Be aware that MANY of the new stoves can be located pretty darn close to combustibles. To the point that you may decide that you do not need a heat shield. I would probably do my homework on what ever stove you plan on getting, first. Make it an EPA cert. stove, cuz the old smoke dragons are gonna need their space (not to mention all the other benifits.)

Jags and fossil,

You all have been a great help already. The new stove I'm interested in is an Englander 13-FP. I just called the manufacturer here in Virginia and he told me with the optional shields, I can place the stove as close as 10 inches or in the corner, like I plan to put mine at, 8 1/2 inches from the corners of the stove to the wall. I had no idea one could ever be placed that close to a combustible wall. By the way, the Englader is also EPA approved and is the cleaner burning type compared to the 12-FP.

Are you all familair with the 13-FP Englander and if so, I'm wondering what you all think of it?

Thanks

Bill

BillT said:
Are you all familair with the 13-FP Englander and if so, I'm wondering what you all think of it?

NEVER HEARD OF IT! :lol:

Just joking there. Uhhh....the only way I can put it, is that you have just named one of the most brought up mfg. and models on this site. Not only does it have a reputation as a great "bang for your buck" stove, we have two patrons of hearth.com that are on the payroll for ESW (Mike and Corie).

Me thinks you have selected a capable heat machine. Not knowing WHAT you are trying to heat, be aware that the big brother to that stove (the 30 model) is also pretty highly regarded.

Interesting.

I'm heating about a 1000 Sq Ft area, therefore I believe the 13 would be the best. I also like the size of it, as I am kind of limited on space.

Bill

No, I'm starting from scratch. I plan on insulated pipe out the wall and up.

It looks like I'm going to have to have insulated pipe all the way from the stove to out the wall because of how close it will be to the wall. Does anyone know of a way to capture any heat that I will be losing from the pipe?

Bill

Welcome BillT !
Your past experience with 'old' stoves is in for a real 'upgrade' with the new EPA stoves. They are a completly diferent animal.

If you will be going out a wall and up with something like a 'DuraVent'- which is a insulated double-wall chimney(what I have)- i don't think you will want a double wall pipe from the stove to the wall thimble. They make a very heavy gauge single wall pipe to conect those. This would give you your 'heat capture'- but you don't really want to try to extract any more heat from the pipe because of at least three reasons I can think of.

1. With the new stoves- the 'exaust' (the pipe) runs much cooler- you gotta keep some heat going up the pipe, or you will risk downdraft.
2. The stove and the chimney are one- " A System'. I mean the newer stoves when running efficentily are the produced of the heat...not the stovepipe.
3. Too cold a stack....more creasote.

It sounds like you are tring to squeeze the stove in... I wouldn't do that. Get it out a little ways from the wall/corner. It will 'run' better with a little more space...and you will get a little more heat from it being that it isn't 'tucked in'

Again- welcome.

Thanks and I appreciate the good info!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.