Wall temps near stove are concerning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
We installed a Madison wood stove recently and the wall to the left (if facing the stove) is getting a bit too warm for my liking. It’s drywall but behind that is the exterior wall of the house, which are ICF. I suspect the concrete is holding some heat, but I’m looking into this issue further.
our unit has the heat shields and I even called the manufacturer to make sure I had the clearances right. I’m not in to front of the stove now, but I’m almost sure we are actually an inch or so further away from the wall that we needed to be.
my temp gun is saying the wall is hovering around 118-120 degrees on average after a 450-500 degree fire has been burning for awhile.
would adding a heat shield to the wall be a good starting point or Is there another option?

thank you.

120 degrees is quite a safe temperature for the drywall. It is not uncommon to see the adjacent drywall go as high as 150º with some stoves and still be safe. I just checked the drywall in our corner install. With the stove temp of 625º the max side wall reading I got in one spot was 142º. On average the temp varied between 115 and 135º.

Note that the average hot air furnace vent may have air temps of 140º coming out of it.

Last edited:
120 degrees is quite a safe temperature for the drywall. It is not uncommon to see the adjacent drywall go as high as 150º with some stoves and still be safe. I just checked the drywall in our corner install. With the stove temp of 625º the max side wall reading I got in one spot was 142º. On average the temp varied between 115 and 135º.

Note that the average hot air furnace vent may have air temps of 140º coming out of it.
That’s some good information. Thank you For the detailed reply. If my wife insist on a heat shield of sorts just for her peace of mind, what would be the best way to accomplish that. A side note, a heat shield thats metal would also protect our wall as it seems to be slowly getting damaged by firewood, ash can, poker, etc.

How is the wall getting damaged? Nothing should be hitting it wrt the stove. A layer of cement board and then tile using a latex-modified thinset could be applied to the wall. It will be cosmetic and not a real heat shield, but if this makes her happy then...

How is the wall getting damaged? Nothing should be hitting it wrt the stove. A layer of cement board and then tile using a latex-modified thinset could be applied to the wall. It will be cosmetic and not a real heat shield, but if this makes her happy then...
The ash can and pile of logs is on that side as well as the kindling can, etc. Throw in me asking our 13 year old to start a fire, and somehow the walls are getting scraped, nicked, gouged, etc. lol.
is placing a piece of steel with spacers so it’s off the wall an inch or two going to work or no? Thank you.

Yes, that would be a very safe wall shielding. 1" is sufficient.

Reactions: tlhfirelion

That's pretty much what I did when my wife was a bit concerned about the wall temps even though I had actually exceeded the clearance requirements by a few extra inches. We actually removed the drywall (and installed cement board and then used a tile which looks a bit like stacked stone.

As you say . . . it is more cosmetic than an actual heat shield as there are no gaps, but my wife seems happier and to be frank I think it improves the look of just having drywall!

Reactions: tlhfirelion