Wall Thimbal question............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatherof2

Aug 12, 2014
Massachusetts
If I were to cut a circular hole in my wall and slide a wall thimbal in, what should I have for clearance between the thimbal and the wall?

Thank you.

No clearance is needed between the thimble and wall.

Tim, are you rock solid sure on that?

I was just in the local stove store and the guy who works there was telling me that the wall cant be touching the thimbal.

He says that there needs to be a gap between the wall and the thimbal. Mine is not set up that way and I just want to be sure I am OK.

The thimble is what maintains clearance between your exhaust pipe and combustibles. You can have sheetrock, insulation, wires or anything else right up against the outside of the thimble with no issue.

I have another question, sorry fatherof2,

Im doing a install also and the wall thimble gap where the 3inch pipe slides into the wall thimble, the o.d. of the pipe should be caulked with hi temp caulking correct? to make it air tight from outside air and whatever other fumes??

Should i also run a bead of hi temp caulking around the 4 corners of the thimble inside and the outside??

Status
Not open for further replies.