Wall Thimble Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDC1

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 17, 2010
NE Ohio
I will be using the Simpson Dura Plus through the wall kit. The thimble is listed as 18" square.

Using 6" double wall pipe past the required 6" of dura plus, can the thimble be mounted between the window trim and the ceiling (actually touching both) and still maintain the required clearances?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds a bit too close for the ceiling clearance. There needs to be a minimum of 6" clearance from the DVL connector pipe to the ceiling.

The DVL pipe is 8" outside diameter correct? So to maintain clearances, I would essentially need 22" between the ceiling and window trim. Unless I use the Duraplus all the way to the stove.

6" DVL is 7" OD.

BeGreen said:
Sounds a bit too close for the ceiling clearance. There needs to be a minimum of 6" clearance from the DVL connector pipe to the ceiling.

Its actually 6" to walls and 8" to ceiling. Just read it today. I have 6" DVL DuraPlus going into Close clearance connector to Class A Triple outside. Going over all my CTB's (Clear to Comb's)

8" to ceiling. Hate to correct you, but its in the manual. When any clearance is in question, always use the larger of the two (8").. Sorry BG

Does simpson make a black triple wall pipe that I can use for the horizontal run to reduce clearance? Can the ss be painted for the inside of the house to run class A all the way from the stove?

JDC said:
Does simpson make a black triple wall pipe that I can use for the horizontal run to reduce clearance? Can the ss be painted for the inside of the house to run class A all the way from the stove?

There are no 90 degree elbows for class A, just 30s and 15s. You could out another class A tee there I guess, but on the inside it would look butt ugly. Instead, I am wondering if a ceiling heat shield with a 1" air space would be acceptable so that you can stick with the double-wall, DVL connector? Give the Duravent folks a call.

http://www.duravent.com/Index.aspx
800-835-4429

Thank you for the insight. We are trying to put as much window into the wall as possible and there is alot to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.