Wall thimbles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwdaye

Nov 1, 2007
southwestern Ohio
I am installing an insulated stove pipe through an 8 inch thick poured concrete wall and I was wondering if I need to use a wall thimble. There is no wood or drywall where the pipe goes through the wall. The pipe diameter is 6" I.D. and 8" O.D. and I was wanting to know if I can just core drill a 8" inch hole through the concrete wall and not use a wall thimble?

Thank you,
kwdaye

Sounds like an insulated double wall pipe you're using, yes? If so, you'll be fine.

kwdaye said:
I am installing an insulated stove pipe through an 8 inch thick poured concrete wall and I was wondering if I need to use a wall thimble. There is no wood or drywall where the pipe goes through the wall. The pipe diameter is 6" I.D. and 8" O.D. and I was wanting to know if I can just core drill a 8" inch hole through the concrete wall and not use a wall thimble?
Thank you,
kwdaye

I believe per code the 2" clearance around Class A is supposed to be an "air space" clearance. At minimum I would core a 10" hole.

Yes it is double insulated pipe and the the wall thimble hole will have to be 11", I will use the wall thimble just to be safe on to make sure it will pass local code.

Thank for all the responses, they were helpful

kwdaye

It would be nice to use some type of sleeve and cement that into the wall. Run the pipe through the sleeve. Check with your local building inspector. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.