Walnut that will not make it to the fire place!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adios Pantalones said:
Oh man- that's nice. I wouldn't buy it, kuzz then I'd have to get all seksy wit it.

Should have some nice locust turning blanks coming up! You turn bowls dont you? I see a trade?

Adios Pantalones said:
naw- I make pottery bowls. I know a couple of turners here- and love turned bowls, but I need another skill to learn like I need a hole in my fishtank.

+1 :coolsmirk: Like the rest of us,I just wish for 48hr days sometimes.Or less things on the backburner so to speak.I guess that's why coffee/tea or energy drinks were invented,6-7hrs sleep & I'm good to go another day....

Adios Pantalones said:
naw- I make pottery bowls. I know a couple of turners here- and love turned bowls, but I need another skill to learn like I need a hole in my fishtank.

I have a lath just need to pick it up. I think locust dishes setting on a walnut table would POP...And sexxy as I can make a chainsaw...lol

smokinjay said:
Adios Pantalones said:

I have a lath just need to pick it up. I think locust dishes setting on a walnut table would POP...And sexxy as I can make a chainsaw...lol

:coolsmile: :lol: +1

Thistle said:
Adios Pantalones said:

+1 :coolsmirk: Like the rest of us,I just wish for 48hr days sometimes.Or less things on the backburner so to speak.I guess that's why coffee/tea or energy drinks were invented,6-7hrs sleep & I'm good to go another day....

HELLZ YEAHS! I'll be firing my kiln this weekend- I'm working full days, then come home and make pots/get ready until bed time. I love it, but man am I busy.

Adios Pantalones said:
Thistle said:
Adios Pantalones said:

HELLZ YEAHS! I'll be firing my kiln this weekend- I'm working full days, then come home and make pots/get ready until bed time. I love it, but man am I busy.

Yea me too.....

Adios Pantalones said:
Are you looking to make a business out of the custom lumber thing? Could be fun, just milling choice high-end stuff.

Yes I have 1500 board foot or more to sell...Finding more than I can get to. Been watching what sells high and that's what I have.
From my dads point of view the wood I have is Firewood lol But to the live edge furniture, guitar, mantel, and turner's makers it's a money maker. Will have some big slabs ready next week. This is our first week running full time and the first slab produce. Inventory starting next week should be up to a slab a day.

Adios Pantalones said:
Post as many pics as you can- I think this is awesome. Seems a bit like magic that you can turn a tree into a thing of beauty like that, as old and fundamental as the process really is

Funny how we go full circle. Growing up I was the sanding/groom man. I finally move up to hand planer guy...lol

southbalto said:
Jay,

Can you briefly describe the process you use?

How do you dry the wood?

Just depends on what it is. The board on the thread 9 months air dryed and 5 months in the wood furnace room. Ends have been trimmed to take the checks out and coated with candle wax to prevent anymore checking. Did not have a MM meter so not sure where its at there but works easy enough. Depending on what your using it for is the way you would cure it...For example most live edge furniture they like all defects to show and checking or deep cracks are a bonus. I will be running some locust that will get coated with wax and sold as mantels.

One thing thats hard for a normal cabinet maker or finish carpenter in this sport is there is no real angles its all LIVE. Your just trying to keep it useful and preserved. Dad has ran his own cabinet Business for over 55 years it drives him nuts but he loves the look once its done. When I started out milling it was for him and it didnt turn out so well...lol

Attachments

• table finnish 2.jpg
    table finnish 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 238
I know this is wrong on so many levels, but . . .

Jay, that's a nice piece of wood you've got there. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
I know this is wrong on so many levels, but . . .

Jay, that's a nice piece of wood you've got there. ;) :)

Thanks! :coolsmile:

We used Walnut for our Mantel. 3.5" thick, outer edge was the bark side - we decided to strip off the bark yet leave the natural "waves" and imperfections as is after a hand sanding, stain and poly. Gotta say, it is real nice looking.

Hard to see it well from these photo's but its the best I have:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66964/

Got Wood said:
We used Walnut for our Mantel. 3.5" thick, outer edge was the bark side - we decided to strip off the bark yet leave the natural "waves" and imperfections as is after a hand sanding, stain and poly. Gotta say, it is real nice looking.

Thats Sharp! I like the bark strip as well....

Attachments

• hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 186
I should add that "striping" the bark off took some effort. We did in manually using all kinds of weapons to get it off w/o damaging the remaining face. I'll get the camara out and see if I can capture better angle that shows it off.

Got Wood said:
I should add that "striping" the bark off took some effort. We did in manually using all kinds of weapons to get it off w/o damaging the remaining face. I'll get the camara out and see if I can capture better angle that shows it off.

I have a couple Draw Knife's but my favorite is the one my Dad gave me its atleast 100 years old. Same design sells for well over 100.00 bucks new. Still nothing easy about it.

A couple different angles of the mantel

Attachments

• DSC04299w.jpg
    DSC04299w.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC04300w.jpg
    DSC04300w.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC04301w.jpg
    DSC04301w.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC04302w.jpg
    DSC04302w.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 199
raybonz said:
smokinjay said:
Got Wood said:

Beautiful looking hearth and insert Jay!

Ray

Thats not mine thats GOTWOOD's...He's just showing the natural edge wood. OH AND IT IS AWESOME LOOKING!

That is nutty Got Wood. Looks great against that background too.

Does it get very hot above that insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.