1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

walnut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by red oak, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    Good Grief!...More power to you sir ;) Hope I can do that when I am that young!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    No Stove! You've made my day. That really got me laughing. I'm still laughing. You'll love the Fireview, though, when you get it, and you're going to have great wood to burn in it. Good luck...you certainly deserve it with all the effort you've put into the project.
  3. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Yep walnut is some good wood. One year in good condition for seasoning should give you great results. Beside love the smell of splitting that stuff....
  4. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Burning my first batch of walnut now. Delightful wood!

Ehouse
  5. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Nice to see there are others that did the same thing I did. My first scrounge was a White Oak about 2.5 years ahead of the stove being in place. I had a solid 10 cords c/s/s by the time that stove burned its' first log. 3 years later and I have around 40 cords on the property. Beware, this could be you someday!

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Mywaynow, What is that, a ten year supply for you? Do you cover any of it at any point? The stacks are so big and close together that I am gathering you don't have a problem with leaves falling on the stacks and getting compost on the stacks over the years? If I tried that at my place, I'd have good rich compost amongst the splits, and not too dry wood, at least near the top. Looking at the amount that some of you have split by hand, I am beginning to feel a bit incompetent.....I just manage to get far enough ahead to keep myself in dry firewood....
  7. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    I have 2 15x30 tarps that are used. I have one tarp hanging over the leading edge of the pile where I take from so it is covering about 12 feet x 30. I have not put the other tarp on yet. The idea was to let the piles dry without a tarp for a couple seasons. I intend on tarping the other portion this fall. Whatever is left is more recently c/s/s and will be untarped for a while. All wood is being stacked on plastic pallets now, so there is good clearance off the ground. So far the oldest wood I am using now is perfect, right to the bottom layer. I have some leaves in that area, but it has not caused any issues. The wood I am using this year should be 3.5 years old. My consumption has been as high as 5.5 and as low as 3.5 per year.
  8. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades Member

Loc:
    North MS
    I burned some black walnut last year. Two years is plenty of time as everyone else has said. There is nothing wrong with it at all. It is not as good as oak and hickory but its great to mix in.
  9. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Are you familiar with the term OCD?
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That is hand split? My hand-split firewood is no where near that uniform. Lately, I've been settling for just halving anything under 8" diameter. If I can manage to pick it up with one hand, it goes on the stack. For a while, I was splitting everything much smaller, but I find smaller splits go up too fast in my stove. I can manage burn times much better with bigger splits and/or rounds.
    timusp40 likes this.
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Last month.Must be a lot straighter & knot free logs compared to the gnarly old stuff I normally am cutting/splitting....

Attached Files:

smokinj and Joful like this.
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Thistle,

My piles look just like yours. Still seems to burn okay.

Best,
    Joful
  13. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I sold five huge black walnuts for $5000, the ones i sold you couldnt come close to putting your arms around. They left the tops and only took the trunks, so i had all kinds of firewood that was two years ago , it burns pretty hot too the biggest one measured 46 inches in diameter at the base
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    coat.jpg I know you heard it from others but do you have a pic of this tree???????????????? (Here is a little project done today from a splitt of bw)

IF ITS OVER 36 INCH IAM ON MY WAY.........
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We've had stacks before which we did not cover and lots of leaf drop on the wood but it caused us no problems at all. I still prefer covering though.
  16. etiger2007

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Black Walnut is one of the prettiest woods youll find, I have some heart wood I just cant bring myself to burn, I think they would look good with some antlers mounted to them or some keys lol. This is a stump of one of the walnuts in the yard that were taken

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      114.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
    smokinj and Thistle like this.
  17. timusp40

timusp40 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Joful,
    Honest! All hand split. You can check my toolshed.
    1 Ax
    1 Maul
    1 X27
    1 Sledge
    3 Wedges
    Of corse there is gnarly stuff that I simply cannot split. It gets the chainsaw, and winds up in the cookie box. See pic.
    Take care,
    Tim DSCF2910.JPG
  18. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

That purpleing in there is money!
    Thistle likes this.
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I sold 4 of these and its 21x14x 3 inchs thick. You can hit that number with purple and life is good! walnut.jpg
    Dairyman, rideau and Thistle like this.
  20. etiger2007

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    What kind of numbers would that fetch?
  21. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Walnut first and seconds can be as low as $5/bf, but when you have nice 14" wide x 3" thick slabs as clear as that, you're likely looking at closer to $15/bf = $52/lf.
  22. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Way to get the wood before the stove! I did the same thing, but I have never had firewood stacks as neat as yours. It is sort of a sad day when you finally start reducing the stacks instead of always adding to them.

By the way, some of my 3 year old walnut is losing its bark, some of it still has tight bark. Most of the three year old oak is losing its bark. I am sure that the time of the year when the wood was cut (or broken - most is storm damaged wood) has a lot to do with whether the bark comes off or not.
  23. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You can throw out the board foot numbers with those measurments. It is now guitar blanks all four sold between 225-300 bucks. A Piece! :) (It is tough hitting those numbers)
    Thistle likes this.
  24. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

You got it. Once you get over 10" wide,2" thick & most any length you can pretty much name your own price.

Very good money in selling short thick & wide blocks & slabs for woodturning/bowl blanks,carving/sculpture.
    smokinj likes this.
  25. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Not around here! I've bought 12/4 and 16/4 walnut from local mills on a few occasions. It never broke the bank. Walnut is very plentiful in eastern PA. My yard is 80% walnut trees.

A local tree guy tells me he used to get over $200 at the mill for a large walnut tree, but now they turn most loads into firewood. There's just not enough demand right now.