Want to heat my garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CSCPeter said:
Solid fuel-burning appliances listed for installation in enclosed spaces or alcoves less than 512 cu ft shall be
installed in accordance with the requirements of the listing and the manufacturer's instructions. [ NFPA 211 Sec
12.2.2.1]

Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable
vapors or gases are present. [ NFPA 211 Sec 12.2.3 ]

I also added the subject to the mythbusters site, mostly cause I would love to see a woodstove and gas vapors combine in high speed!!

These big words are why the oil companies keep getting richer and richer. I see no problem with a wood stove in the garage if you are responsible. I only burn when I'm in the garage, and I don't store gas in the same area. Just use common sense! Anything can be dangerous in the wrong hands. I had rather have a spark from a wood stove ignite a puddle of spilled gas then have a leak in a propane line go BOOM when an outlet sparks.

Yep,
Keep the gas and other stuff away from it and there is no big deal. It is a good idea to keep that stuff in some other place anyhow. Keeping gas stored inside is really asking for trouble. It will quickly turn a small problem that is managable into one that is not. What do these insurance agents think about welding and cutting torches? They blow sparks and fire all over the place and are much more dangerous, so far as fire risk goes, than any woodstove would ever be.

Old thread but a good one, I have come to the conclusion that a wood burner in a shop is no problem other than code for many reasons mentioned in this thread.

jcjohnston said:
Northern sells a small hang from the ceiling 220V heater that 2 of my neighbors use to heat the same space you have, same reason actually hang out and smoke cigars.

+1 on the hang from ceiling 220V heater. I love mine. Heat my 2car garage sized pottery studiio 24/7 with one of those. This after trying some other options. Best option I found was this.

pyroclayman said:
jcjohnston said:
Northern sells a small hang from the ceiling 220V heater that 2 of my neighbors use to heat the same space you have, same reason actually hang out and smoke cigars.

+1 on the hang from ceiling 220V heater. I love mine. Heat my 2car garage sized pottery studiio 24/7 with one of those. This after trying some other options. Best option I found was this.
I'm sure they do not run cheap, what is the wattage, electric bill is bad enough already.

oldspark said:
pyroclayman said:
jcjohnston said:

I'm sure they do not run cheap, what is the wattage, electric bill is bad enough already.

I got mine on Ebay for under 2 bills. You gotta shop there are deals. But your spot on about he elec bill, it will go up, of course. My studio is uber insulated, so---

I don't remember the wattage of mine. But they are availiable from small to huge. One reason I chose this route over wood is that it's a pottery studio, and must never be allowed to freeze. (detatched)

Status
Not open for further replies.