Wanted to say thanks. Last wood fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it would be better to just let the oil burner pick up more of the load? From the calculations I've seen If you picked up the lost BTU's by burning another 600 g you could drop your wood consumption by about 3 cords.
I’ve actually been doing that a bit the last year, letting the stove that carries the smaller fraction of our load go cold more frequently. This is what has my mind on swapping out that second stove for coal or pellet, at some point in the future.

I’ve actually been doing that a bit the last year, letting the stove that carries the smaller fraction of our load go cold more frequently. This is what has my mind on swapping out that second stove for coal or pellet, at some point in the future.

No thoughts of more heat pump action?

No thoughts of more heat pump action?

@Ashful I saw that pellet stove sneak in there as a possibility too. There are some pellet stoves that have output that will put all of the woodstoves to shame. 60-70k btu constantly.

@Ashful I saw that pellet stove sneak in there as a possibility too. There are some pellet stoves that have output that will put all of the woodstoves to shame. 60-70k btu constantly.
One bag of pellets has half the btus of a bag of coal. Same price per bag in my area.

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
I’m really surprised at the amount of ash. It needs dumped everyday, otherwise it builds up and blocks the air path. It does produce a lot of ash and it frickin heavy! It’s still much easier than wood for me. Shake it every 12 hours, load it every 24, and the glass is still nice and clean!

Ya I think that would put me out (all the ash). Everything else sounds decent though.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Hey guys, all good info and questions. But I was only trying to contribute to the part of the conversation debating the merit of coal as not free, versus the argument that wood was “free”. I’d rather avoid derailing this a thread into my own personal heating economics, although I understand some of the data I provided could take it in that direction. If you have any specific questions, feel free to just send me a PM, or start another thread and link it here.

Oil is still about twice the price of coal per BTU
One bag of pellets has half the btus of a bag of coal. Same price per bag in my area.
Yea thats what stopped me. And Bagged coal is twice as much as i pay for delivered tons. If it was going in my living space id consider pellets, but since my caol unit is a boiler in my furnace room coal its fine there.

Oil is still about twice the price of coal per BTU

Yea thats what stopped me. And Bagged coal is twice as much as i pay for delivered tons. If it was going in my living space id consider pellets, but since my caol unit is a boiler in my furnace room coal its fine there.
It was only about $60 per ton cheaper for bulk, I like the convenience of the bags. I may come up with a way to store the bulk before next winter though.

Hey guys, all good info and questions. But I was only trying to contribute to the part of the conversation debating the merit of coal as not free, versus the argument that wood was “free”. I’d rather avoid derailing this a thread into my own personal heating economics, although I understand some of the data I provided could take it in that direction. If you have any specific questions, feel free to just send me a PM, or start another thread and link it here.
I think it's good info. How many times can you ID wood species?

Since Anthracite coal burns smoke & particulate free it is much greener then burning wood. My neighbors still burn wood & smoke belches from their chimneys all Winter long. No matter what temp I'm running my Hitzer nothing visible comes out of my chimney except heat waves in the cold.

That’s a dubious claim. The only heat up here without a carbon tax is wood.

Reactions: bholler
That’s a dubious claim. The only heat up here without a carbon tax is wood.

The carbon tax has very little to do with environmental responsibility and a lot to do with generating revenue to compensate for the PM's lack of spending restraint. I'm not sure it carries much merit in regards to environmental responsibility, especially in regards to PM pollution from poor wood burning habits, which the OP refers to.

The carbon tax has very little to do with environmental responsibility and a lot to do with generating revenue to compensate for the PM's lack of spending restraint. I'm not sure it carries much merit in regards to environmental responsibility, especially in regards to PM pollution from poor wood burning habits, which the OP refers to.

You’re preaching to the choir. I was mainly referring to the fact that burning coal is burning carbon sequestered in prehistoric times, where as wood is almost carbon neutral. The particulate on new stoves is nominal and short lived (one small forest fire makes as much as nation of wood burners does in year).

You’re preaching to the choir. I was mainly referring to the fact that burning coal is burning carbon sequestered in prehistoric times, where as wood is almost carbon neutral. The particulate on new stoves is nominal and short lived (one small forest fire makes as much as nation of wood burners does in year).

I understand what you were getting at now. I get a little uptight when carbon tax is brought up as a point of argument, it has the potential to do good if the funds are used correctly, but as with every government program the money gets misappropriated. In Alberta $2 billion from our carbon tax went to the coal fired power plants... to pay for the lost revenue in the power purchase agreements the government effectively cancelled, yet the coal plants continue to operate. They spent just over $30 million on grants to help install solar panels on homes and businesses, sure seems like an effective use of money to me...

Anyway this is wayyy off topic.

Reactions: Smolder
Status
Not open for further replies.