Wanted....Zucchini Recipes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearth Mistress

Minister of Fire
Well, it's that time of year when my few plants (3 zucchini, 3summer yellow squash) start pumping out more pieces than I know what to do with. I swear those suckers double in size overnight. All this damp cool weather has given my plants that white leaf mold but the zucchini just keeps coming.

While I've pickled (eww), relished (better), made bread (yum) as well as froze it, I figured there where plenty of folks on here that have great recipes so I thought I'd ask. I'm not willing to park with them yet by putting them into unsuspecting cars with their windows at the grocery store (post on a previous thread) but what are you guys doing with it all?

I didn't think to take photos either time but I made stuffed zucchini twice now and it was tasty. I sliced them lengthwise and scooped out the seeds leaving enough on the sides and ends to create a cooking vessel. I them put them in a shallow pan skin up with a little water and baked them about 30 minutes until they were tender. Then the "stuffed" part:
First time a Moroccan style -cooked up some ground lamb, ras el hanout (if you don't have this get some), golden raisins, sliver almonds, cooked rice spooned it into the zucchini and topped with goat cheese then back in the oven to meld all the flavors.

Second time, I used hot sausage removed from the casings, cooked it up with peppers, onions and a bit of tomato sauce, topped with mozzarella and back in the oven to melt the cheese.

They were good, really good but what are your favorite recipes?

Coined, yellow and green, light sautee in oil and garlic/shallot with a little cider vinegar, salt, pepper and any fine diced leafy herb; Mint, Oregano etc.. To avoid ending up with slammers, start with the blossoms for fritters and pick the dickens out of the small ones. Best recipe for the jumbos; Haul out those gift bags you've been saving and locate those kind, elderly ladies in the neighborhood ( not the nasty ones that swear at little children riding their bikes and cut in line), stuff bag with large zuks, write a nice note on a nice card (pick 'em up 2 for a buck at the dollar store, you can get them when you get your next pairs of reading glasses) spray liberally with some cheap lilac scented perfume ( air freshener will do), place on selected door steps, ring bell and run like hell! Go about your business as if nothing had happened and soon the alchemy will have occurred and you will find on your step, or have presented to you, a loaf or two of the finest, sweetest, aromatic bread; rivalling the Way Bread of the Elves! Don't ask me how they'll know it was you, but they will.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
I have quite a few the size of 2 year old children. I am considering explosives at this point.
Sorry, no recipe - but signing up for this thread.

Just had grilled zucchini kabobs last night with some marinated chicken. They were very tasty. Almost every time I grill we have a basket full of veggie chunks (mostly zukes right now) on the grill too.

Well, it's that time of year when my few plants (3 zucchini, 3summer yellow squash) start pumping out more pieces than I know what to do with. I swear those suckers double in size overnight. All this damp cool weather has given my plants that white leaf mold but the zucchini just keeps coming.

While I've pickled (eww), relished (better), made bread (yum) as well as froze it, I figured there where plenty of folks on here that have great recipes so I thought I'd ask. I'm not willing to park with them yet by putting them into unsuspecting cars with their windows at the grocery store (post on a previous thread) but what are you guys doing with it all?

I didn't think to take photos either time but I made stuffed zucchini twice now and it was tasty. I sliced them lengthwise and scooped out the seeds leaving enough on the sides and ends to create a cooking vessel. I them put them in a shallow pan skin up with a little water and baked them about 30 minutes until they were tender. Then the "stuffed" part:
First time a Moroccan style -cooked up some ground lamb, ras el hanout (if you don't have this get some), golden raisins, sliver almonds, cooked rice spooned it into the zucchini and topped with goat cheese then back in the oven to meld all the flavors.

Second time, I used hot sausage removed from the casings, cooked it up with peppers, onions and a bit of tomato sauce, topped with mozzarella and back in the oven to melt the cheese.

They were good, really good but what are your favorite recipes?
We stuffed some, but yours sounds better. I mean... damn.
We do a lot of grilled-mixes. Anything ripe from the garden (garlic, herbs, tomatoes, zukes, etc) in foil with salt/pepper/EVOO, grill, serve over pasta. Makes a sauce of sorts.

Zucchini bread and muffins are yummy too.

i'm partial to the egg wash, bread crumb coating, fryed squashes and I chop them up and add them to almost anything (we make many baked pasta dishes...ziti/lasagna/rotini type things with meat/chees/assorted veggies). Also chop them up and add them to Stove Top (one of the few "foods in a box" i prefer over homemade)...I can seriouslt just sit and eat a whole meal of zucc's steamed, boiled, grilled, fried...no salt or anything.

Imma totally steal your stuffing idea....sounds almost illegal.

i'm partial to the egg wash, bread crumb coating, fryed squashes and I chop them up and add them to almost anything (we make many baked pasta dishes...ziti/lasagna/rotini type things with meat/chees/assorted veggies). Also chop them up and add them to Stove Top (one of the few "foods in a box" i prefer over homemade)...I can seriouslt just sit and eat a whole meal of zucc's steamed, boiled, grilled, fried...no salt or anything.

Imma totally steal your stuffing idea....sounds almost illegal.
Steamed with a little butter- ya, I can really strap on the feedbag for that

Came across these interesting variations on zu-canoes today.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/zu_canoes.html - italian style
http://www.dishwaterdreams.com/cooking/grilled-stuffed-zucchini-canoes - with sausage
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/07/taco-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html - mexican style
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/vegan-stuffed-zucchini - lots of other variations

This sounds yummy too:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/calabacitas-guisada-stewed-mexican-zucchini/

my wife has made these. They are good plain, with sauce or in a sandwich the next day:
http://shescookin.com/2011/07/07/zucchini-keftedes-with-feta/

Zucchini turkey burgers, the zucchini keeps the turkey moist. 1/2 by volume ground turkey, 1/2 by volume shredded zucchini, bread crumbs, then onion/garlic/pepper/salt to your desires.

Stir fry in skillet, then add scrambled eggs....make scrambled eggs or omelet.

Use in lasagna.

Make soups with whatever veggies you have, blend and freeze for great quick winter meals.

Cut raw in salad.

Stir fry dinners, using all the veggies you have.

Basil/zucchini/parmesan muffins or loaf.

Zu-canoes, that's funny! I never really thought of them as being a boat but I guess they are! I have a lot a weird ingredients and spices in my pantry and freezer (like marshmallow root and pig stomachs) With no kids and a hubby that spent time in the Army, Navy and National Guard, so he isn't picky, I am lucky to be able to experiment with not only what some would call exotic ingredients, but cooking methods. I love to cook so it is always an adventure for me.
Thanks for sharing these recipes!

Oh, Jags, if you go the explosives route, I expect a video :)

Reactions: Jags
Moosewood has a zucanoe. You may want to check out their cookbooks for vegetarian ideas. I bought a dehydrator this week and now I am going to make zucchini chips for the first time. There are also zucchini cakes and fritters.

couple weeks ago I was served hummus with deep fried plantain slices instead of pita...I wonder if zucc will cook up in a similar fashion in the deep fryer? I do not have one...but if'n you do.....

Slice them length-ways into planks. Marinate in whatever you like (I usually use Italian dressing) and throw them on the grill for a few minutes on each side until you reach your desired level of mushiness. We eat that at least 3 times a week during zuc season.

couple weeks ago I was served hummus with deep fried plantain slices instead of pita...I wonder if zucc will cook up in a similar fashion in the deep fryer? I do not have one...but if'n you do.....

Gotta salt them, and let them rest to pull the moisture out or they just disintegrate (actually blow themselves apart) in the oil. Japanese egg plant is the same way. Plaintains are low moisture in comparison.

Reactions: Delta-T
i do have a dehydrator...have get BIG zuccs...size of 2 yr old child ;)...they prolly shrink down to the size of a corn chip.

i do have a dehydrator...have get BIG zuccs...size of 2 yr old child ;)...they prolly shrink down to the size of a corn chip.

Hmmm...lightly seasoned, dehydrated...got me thinking. Skin would have to go.

Deep fried zucchini with some sort of yogurt sauce/dip, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.