wanting a wood stove in my fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zach5187

Jan 2, 2016
nebraska
I have a fireplace and I'm no fireplace expert but when I look up the chimney I see brick but when I reach my hand and feel above it in the chimney are where the firebox slims down to the chimney section I feel dirt. My question is if I just stick a pedestal stove in it not an insert exactly, is there a cheaper alternative as far as venting it up the chimney other than a 400-600 stainless liner? Below is the stove i am wanting to get thanks i advance
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/vogelzang-defender-epa-wood-stove?cm_vc=-10005

You will want a full stainless liner. But first the chimney must be thoroughly cleaned, including the smoke shelf area. For proper stove performance the flue size should be 6" all the way up. The stove will perform better and the flue will stay cleaner as long as fully seasoned wood is burned.

So there is nothing that I could do other than the stainless liner to just get me thru the rest of the year, something less expensive than 400 Bucks

So there is nothing that I could do other than the stainless liner to just get me thru the rest of the year, something less expensive than 400 Bucks
no and $400 is extremly low i would expect more than that by the time you are done

Status
Not open for further replies.