1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Warm today so decided to clean the stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lopiliberty, Jan 30, 2013.

1. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    After running the stove continuously for the last week and a half, it warmed up today and I decided I was going to give the stove and stove area a good cleaning. Took the ashes out, took a small broom and swept all the fly ash from the inside of the firebox, cleaned the air channels under the stove, cleaned the glass, polished the door, removed the blower and vacuumed it, scrubbed the rock hearth, cleaned the hard water deposits out of my steamer and of course checked the flue. Then I moved my wood racks and vacuumed under them. After all that work I'm tired and hate to have to get it all dirty again;hm picture048.jpg
    Beer Belly and zap like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    You could always burn oil! AAAAH, just get it dirty again. The best cleaning is the last one of the season. But all the real fun is in between.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

It looks like we'll be back down in the single digits tomorrow night, back to burning the Liberty.
  4. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    3 hours after doing all that cleaning, I got cold and had to get the ol' liberty going again. Bring on the cold air. As much as I like having a clean stove, I really dislike seeing an empty stove with no fire in it
    Beer Belly likes this.
  5. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    ABSOLUTLY NOT. Don't have an oil furnace and in no way, shape, or form would I ever have one
  6. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    Good for you. Neither do I. It is just the heat burn the stove for. I think we can agree the heat is important but I like to sit in front of it with a beer and play my guitar. Now that's livin'. But at night when the wind is howling after loading 4 or 5 splits a nice glass of wine and relaxing in your favorite chair will put you to sleep on any given day. That's why we do what we do.
    lopiliberty likes this.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Pouring rain at two inches an hour and it is 74 in here. Stove has been cold for three days. But somebody posted a video of the burn in their PE stove a little while ago and it made me chilly.
  8. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    dYou'll be firing up before you know it. You know, I know it, we all know it. It's coming in and planning on staying for a while. Be prepare, but somehow, I'm sure you are. FYI still very warm Westport, MA. Light gusts, no rain yet but coming.
  9. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Dusted the combustor, cleaned the screen (did the same on SIL's Fv,) cleaned the glass on the Buck 91, brought a recliner home from SIL's, loaded up the stove with Cherry, Ash, Sugar Maple and Persimmon. I'm ready. ::-)
  10. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    My insert was new this year and I cleaned the blower, wow they collect debris real quick. Liberty you burn some big pieces of wood.
  11. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    That's why I get such good burn times;)
  12. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I got some Biggins they just arnt ready yet. lol
  13. Caruso293

Caruso293 New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I went on the roof today and checked the chimney as well. Used yesterday and today to do a quick cleaning, but nothing like you described. I will save that cleaning for the end of the burning season. About to light my Lopi soon as the next few days are going to get cold again. Cheers.