1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Warming Up The House.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Nov 25, 2012.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

This morning after a couple of cups of coffee I went downstairs to put in some Cherry in the Liberty, once I charred down the wood I shut it down, the stovetop temp was at 650.

With the Cherry I've been getting 8-10 hour burns.

Attached Files:

Jack Straw, bfunk13, Gasifier and 6 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

That's pretty good on the cherry zap. We've kept the stove running all day here, and its quite cool outside at 23°F @the moment. Did you get a couple whiffs of that good smelling cherry outside at all today? Makes me want to smoke a good cherry cigar. Stove looks good buddy! Be well
  3. thewoodlands

You could smell it outside, I had the rhino out this morning checking the oil, I was down wind of it.::P
    ScotO likes this.
  4. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Oooo la la! Sounds like a perfect day from a perfect thanksgiving week!
    zap likes this.
  5. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Nice fire...Checking the oil in the Rhino...Think they could use a smaller dipstick??LOL
    zap likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

I hear ya, it took awhile but I'm use to it. If I'm running alot I will check it before heading out, the level seemed fine.

Plenty of good UTV's out there but the Rhino has been a great workhorse for us.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Love me the smell of black cherry burning in the stove.....especially when the snow's a flyin....
    zap likes this.
  8. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Very nice looking fire. Love the glowing air tube and baffle support==c With a fire like that in my liberty it could easily be over 800 degrees if I'm not careful. This year I have been packing the liberty full(only when I'm home all day) more than I ever have and have been getting 8 to 12 hours depending on wood which is mostly oak and locust.
    zap likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

We've been getting 8 & 10 hour burns on Cherry, once the jetstream drops allowing the artic air down the Beech or Sugar Maple come in.

zap
    ScotO likes this.
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

OOOOH, I'm a-hopin' and a-prayin' that time comes soon. I'm getting very near the black locust and red/white oak in that part of the stack. I'd hate to have to take that stuff and put it aside (because if we don't get some REAL winter weather, that's what I'm gonna do" I hate wasting that good wood on mild weather.
    zap likes this.
  11. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Left Ontario last wed. and traveled to New Jersey for my MIL's funeral. 30 was purring away when I left. since then we had some +5 degree weather and I cringe because the thermostat for the DINO burner was left set on 58 degrees. Hated to have to do it. Can't wait to get home tomorrow and refire Ole Black Betty and watch the secondaries warm up my life again!
  12. thewoodlands

Rottiman, sorry about your MIL.
  13. thewoodlands

We had a 40 degree drop from yesterday with some winds today. Once January rolls around we start burning Beech for the whole month, once we hit February the Sugar Maple will be burned for the whole month.

This should leave us enough Cherry from this years wood to burn next year. The wife thought it was time to burn the better stuff.
    Eatonpcat and ScotO like this.
  14. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Nice looking fire in that stove. ZAP do you have two stoves or am I imagining things?
  15. thewoodlands

We have the Yankee Pellet Stove (had it before we bought the woodlot) and the Lopi Liberty. Most of the time we heat with wood but we do use the Pellet Stove when it drops to 20-30 below with the Liberty cranking at the same time, keeps the house toasty an the oil man from coming up our driveway.
    Gasifier likes this.
  16. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    Nice long burns Zap ;)

loon