Warped Englander 28-3500 Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
So I have been heating 3000 square feet with the englander 28-3500 and love this stove. I went to clean it before I need to fire it up in a week but I noticed that the baffle was warped. See pics below. I have only used this stove for 5 years and I bought it new. What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future? Also I don't see anything else wrong with the stove other than the warped baffle plate. The metal plates that the baffle sits on look fine to me?

Attachments

• WP_20161019_18_03_58_Pro.JPG
    WP_20161019_18_03_58_Pro.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 403
  • WP_20161019_18_04_02_Pro.JPG
    WP_20161019_18_04_02_Pro.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 338
  • WP_20161019_18_12_08_Pro.JPG
    WP_20161019_18_12_08_Pro.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 326
  • WP_20161019_18_12_15_Pro.JPG
    WP_20161019_18_12_15_Pro.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 468
  • WP_20161019_18_12_30_Pro.JPG
    WP_20161019_18_12_30_Pro.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 377
The metal plates that the baffle sits on and everything else look fine to me??

I also noticed that Englander changed the baffle around 2006 what is the difference between the two?

Last edited:
Hey Hemi, saw this was a couple months old, but I'll chime in. Most owners of this stove have warped the baffle from what I can tell. We did in year two of four now. Englander replaced ours at no cost. However ours isn't as bad as yours and lays down once warm, so we continue to use it until it gets worse. Only thing I can say is prob got overheated once. Mine did, oak all the way up and left the bottom door cracked a minute too long. I'd call em and see if they will replace if you haven't already. sometimes they just warp.

Reactions: 04HemiRam2500
Looks like it would be pretty easy to heat up and flatten. The maybe take some square tube and brace across to to prevent it from happening again.
If I did square tube I think I would try to put it on top or running front to back so you don't impede heat travel and screw up the airwash.

Looks like it would be pretty easy to heat up and flatten. The maybe take some square tube and brace across to to prevent it from happening again.
If I did square tube I think I would try to put it on top or running front to back so you don't impede heat travel and screw up the airwash.

My Pacific Energy Summit has the same problem with warping the baffle. It warped the first year, past the point where the dealer said was acceptable. Pacific Energy wouldn't stand behind it though, and wouldn't replace it despite their lifetime warranty, and dealer involvement. Warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it. I like my stove but would choose another brand if I had to do it over again.

Reactions: 04HemiRam2500
I think a fair number of stove makers have non metallic baffles. Maybe it'd be possible to make one.

Thanks guys for all your input. I did alot of looking into this and it seems like this is okay and had nothing to do with me or how I use the furnace. Probably too much of my red oak on a cold cold day. lol. Thanks again!

I think a fair number of stove makers have non metallic baffles. Maybe it'd be possible to make one.

The Pacific Energy baffle is stainless steel, it might be possible to make one, this the right equipment and know how. Thing is, I shouldn't have to, it has a lifetime warranty, and the dealer is saying it is warped beyond PE's own spec. I liked the baffle systems on my Quadrafire and Lopi much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.