1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Was it stupid to take this?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by zknowlto, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zknowlto

zknowlto New Member

Loc:
    Lansing, MI
    After my relatively good fortune scrounging wood off CL the other week, I jumped at another opportunity today. The guy claimed that he had "about a cord" or "uncut" firewood free to anyone that would come pick it up. What he actually had were a few ancient logs (the rest were totally rotten) and around 13 cubic feet of dimensional lumber from an old deck or something. All the dimensional is pretty silver and has a lot of splits throughout. Is this stuff going to be OK to burn, or did I just hall away someone's trash?

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ratman

Ratman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford, NH
    Looks like a good bunch of free wood to me.
    Usually the CL stuff is green.
    Count yourself lucky.

Must not have paint or be pressure treated!
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    it'll burn
  4. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    It's not good to burn treated lumber........

Shari
  5. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Then use the pallets to stack wood on, Shari, how long are they going to last????????

:coolsmile:

Free wod is free wood...and split, heck, go for it !!!
  6. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Dimensional lumber from an old deck is almost surely going to be pressure treated. Not good to burn in a wood stove. Personally, I'd find re-uses for it, building a wood shed or similar.
  7. CarbonNeutral

CarbonNeutral Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    CL is full of people wanting their old deck/fenceposts/etc. taken away for a stove, or even worse, a firepit. I won't go near them - old PT is difficult to assess as any chemical smell/color can be long gone. Even worse is that the old stuff is full of arsenic compared to the more recent PT being copper chromate. Of course they'll swear that it isn't PT, but funny how that pine that's been sat around for 20 years shows next to no rot....

Use it for something else.
  8. JeffRey30747

JeffRey30747 Member

Loc:
    NW GA USA
    I wouldn't burn PT wood but it does come in handy to support stacked firewood. About half my woodshed floor is old PT 4x4's or 2x4s laminated together and covered with scrap OSB or plywood.
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Me . . . I would burn the firewood, but pass on the lumber . . . if this was from an old deck there is a very, very good chance it is pressure treated and as mentioned the older stuff used arsenic. If possible re-use on other projects . . . or worse case, you've just done a guy a favor by hauling away some trash.
  10. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    +1 Even if it isn't PT it probably has been sealed with something. Use it for stacking wood on or use it under your pallets to save them from rotting.
  11. zknowlto

zknowlto New Member

Loc:
    Lansing, MI
    Ok, ok. I guess I knew in my heart of hearts this was going to be the response, but I was really really hoping to get some wood out of this transaction. The pieces are kind of small and irregular for building something else, and my pallets are already sitting on brick, so I guess I'll just dump the lumber or pass it off to some other suck... I mean, wood burning enthusiast. Anyone in mid-Michigan interested in free "firewood" ;)?

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.