The Cost of Education...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar440_6

Dec 17, 2014
Carlisle, PA
Well, I learned a hard and somewhat expensive lesson yesterday. I bought my new Englander NC-30 on Wednesday last week. Thursday in the blistering cold, I pulled the door off and all the firebricks out and unloaded it off the truck with the help of my wife. I put all of the firebricks back in and the door on. Then had a small burn in the stove outside that evening and Friday night I got it up to about 500*F to cure the paint. Then yesterday morning it was finally time to move the stove into the basement and I got in a hurry. I figured 475lbs was less than I've moved before with the dolly and its only 4 (concrete) stairs. Why waste the extra time to pull the bricks out and the door off. Ah, I'll be fine, no need for help. WRONG. So I ratchet strapped the stove to the dolly and away I went. As the dolly started to slide down the first stair something caught, hard, and the weight of the stove and gravity took over. The dolly ripped out of my hands and the stove went end over end and landed on its head at the bottom of the stairs. My wife came running downstairs to see what had happened and she was on the 2nd floor at the time.

After about 20 mins of foul language we rolled the stove over and I began to asses the damage. Luckily this thing is built like a Sherman tank. The stove itself was fine except for a couple of dinged up corners and some scratched paint. However, I broke two firebrick and destroyed both fiberboard baffles. Great, I thought. Home Depot doesn't carry replacement parts and upon calling, Englander said a week lead time to order them. As I frantically searched on this site and the rest of the internet for a source that might have the baffles in stock, I began to wonder if the local stove shop would have anything that would work. So, I jumped in the car and hauled the mail to get there.

After speaking with the owner, he voiced some concerns about differing materials between manufacturers but said we could take a look at the Quadrafire 5700 baffles as those were the biggest ones he had in stock. He grabbed a pair from the warehouse and brought them out. I measured them and they were just barely larger than the NC-30 baffles so I bought them along with 2 fire brick and thanked him profusely for saving my tail (my wife was fit to be tied by this point). I walked out of the store with two baffles and the firebricks for $10 less than the cost of the baffles alone from Englander. On the way home I pondered my ordeal and I can actually say I'm glad I didn't ask for help (though I probably should have) because whoever was helping would have likely been under the stove when it fell and I know neither my wife nor the friend who I would have called would have been able to catch a 475lb stove. So, silver linings, no one was injured and for a $110 lesson I was able to get my stove up and running.

Lessons Learned:
-Don't get in a hurry to move a stove. Take the time to remove as much weight as possible.
-Ask for help when moving a stove, the more the better, but do make sure everyone will be safe while doing it.
-The Englander NC-30 is a REALLY tough piece of iron.
-I have a really good local stove shop.
-The ceramic fiberboard baffles for a Quadrafire 5700 will fit an NC-30 near perfectly after trimming 1/2" off of the ends.
-Secondary flames are really cool.

Obligatory pictures to make up for my stupidity. First image is from the hot burn outside and the second is the final install.

Attachments

• IMG_20150109_201535763_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150109_201535763_HDR.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20150111_215452215.jpg
    IMG_20150111_215452215.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Good lessons. I'm glad that you and the stove are alright. Enjoy the heat.

And this morning we learned why a properly sized and insulated liner is IMPERATIVE for these newer stoves. I woke up to a muffled beeping noise that wasn't my alarm. Still half asleep, I walked into the 2nd floor hallway and saw that the carbon monoxide detector was reading 35ppm but not going off. I immediately opened all the windows upstairs and ran down to the basement to find the detector reading 91ppm and going off. I opened both windows and set a fan in the doorway pulling air in. I very quickly shoveled the coals out of the stove and dumped them in the fire pit outside. The CO level dropped to 0 within 5 minutes after that.

My guess is that due to the oversized chimney and the rain that rolled in overnight, it killed what little draft there was and even with the primary air control open 75% the chimney still couldn't pull enough combustion air to keep the coals properly lit. My wife asked why we never had issues with the old airtight stove doing this and I explained that the old stove pretty much had to be run wide open all the time and it almost always maintained 600*F+ flue temps so it kept the draft going whereas this stove keeps more heat in the room and less up the chimney. So, after that mildly terrifying event, I think we'll just be paying for propane until the new liner is installed.

You are full of lessons, mopar. Another lesson learned for me. I hope I am that quick witted when the alarm goes off...

You are full of lessons, mopar. Another lesson learned for me. I hope I am that quick witted when the alarm goes off...

Let's hope your alarms never go off but check your backup batteries just in case...

I would say, the very best thing you have learned is you DO have a very good local shop. I know my local shop is good, but suspect, at this point deep in the season, and busy, they might tell you to go back to H.D. or the manufacturer, sorry about your luck.

I would respectfully suggest that you talk to them about the liner, and even if it costs a couple dollars more than buying from liner depot, it's well spent money..

Reactions: CenterTree
Obligatory pictures to make up for my stupidity. First image is from the hot burn outside and the second is the final install.
Hey wait, in that first pic, I don't think you have the proper hearth requirement of R-value of 1.5 (English units) or equivalent. ;lol;)

Glad ya got that beast in safely.
Now get yourself a good 6inch SS liner installed.:)

What a story. I'm glad you weren't injured when the stove took off down the basement steps.

I would say, the very best thing you have learned is you DO have a very good local shop. I know my local shop is good, but suspect, at this point deep in the season, and busy, they might tell you to go back to H.D. or the manufacturer, sorry about your luck.

I would respectfully suggest that you talk to them about the liner, and even if it costs a couple dollars more than buying from liner depot, it's well spent money..

Because the current 6.5"x11" clay tile liner will have to be broken out to install a properly insulated liner and because I don't do well with heights, I'll be paying someone to install it for me. I've already got two reline quotes from the stove shop (one for standard liner and one for HD liner) and two other quotes from different sweep companies. I actually got the 2nd quote when I was in there to get the baffles. He said that they are starting to slow down from the initial rush and that if I get the deposit in soon, they should be able to complete it in the next 2-3 weeks.

Both of the sweep companies just want to drop an uninsulated liner and pour thermix because its easier. I'm not happy with that solution because it wouldn't provide enough insulation at the edges of the pipe and Thermix is pretty much permanent. All three quotes are very close in pricing so I will be spending the little bit extra to get the stove shop to break out the tile and install a proper liner.

Hey wait, in that first pic, I don't think you have the proper hearth requirement of R-value of 1.5 (English units) or equivalent. ;lol;)

I think the 7*F temperatures and 30mph wind that night served to keep that skid plenty cool >>.

Reactions: CenterTree
Glad you didn't get hurt moving the stove. Now, what I was hoping to see was a photo of the stove upside down! Glad to see your local hearth shop was eager to help you out.

Both of the sweep companies just want to drop an uninsulated liner and pour thermix because its easier. I'm not happy with that solution because it wouldn't provide enough insulation at the edges of the pipe and Thermix is pretty much permanent. All three quotes are very close in pricing so I will be spending the little bit extra to get the stove shop to break out the tile and install a proper liner.
>>

The family that bought our Homestead did the bare HD liner and the thermix stuff.. They are working with only 12 feet of chimney, and it works great. Was easy to do too. I am not sure I would give it "permanent".. I would guess it would be easier to knock out then the clay tiles, if needed. We played with some of the spillage and leftover.. it's kind of like a hard sponge feel to it once it sets up..

Status
Not open for further replies.