Waste Oil Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe F

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
So i bought plans for a home made waste oil heater. It works ok, generates alot of heat, but you do get the smell of burned oil outside, and it smoke a bit too much for my liking. I've done some reasearch and anything homemade is going to act like that. i'm thinking of buying one that is made by a reputable company. the catch is I only need to heat up 1000-1500 sqft. Anyone have any idea where i can find one? All that i find are too powerful....Any feedback at all on this matter would be helpful...

Plan B: small wood burning stove, but i really wanted to do waste oil. It's for my garage.

Did you buy Murphy's plans by any chance? I've seen those and they look pretty good-it's supposed to burn clean according to what they say. What are you burning with it? Motor oils? I've considered getting one as well since we have three vehicles, one of which is a Ford Powerstroke diesel-4 1/2 gallons of oil per change! Plus transmission fluid changes, etc... By the way, I'm right down 513 in High Bridge-how's the weather up there today? It always amazes me how much colder it is where we are vs. where I work (Princeton), and then how much colder it is on top of Schooley's Mountain...lol

Back in the 80's I had a part time job at a large interstate trucking company. They heated about 8 bays with used motor oil and you couldn't smell the used oil...which I hate btw. The forced air heater/burners were hung high in the ceiling blowing down on the bays.

Badfish740 said:
Did you buy Murphy's plans by any chance? I've seen those and they look pretty good-it's supposed to burn clean according to what they say. What are you burning with it? Motor oils? I've considered getting one as well since we have three vehicles, one of which is a Ford Powerstroke diesel-4 1/2 gallons of oil per change! Plus transmission fluid changes, etc... By the way, I'm right down 513 in High Bridge-how's the weather up there today? It always amazes me how much colder it is where we are vs. where I work (Princeton), and then how much colder it is on top of Schooley's Mountain...lol

the plans i bought were by a "company" called called starcom. i'm assuming it's a one man show. you can download the same type of plans on the net, for free now. i'm actually burning oil from a powerstroke, that belongs to a friend of mine. It's not that bad but my neighbors are gonna flip, too preppy up here. lol. I might get rid of it so if you want it we'll work something out. The weather was cold like hell when i left at 6:30 am. like 17. Our area is funny cause by 57 in mansfield is always cooler than my house.....have a good day neighbor.

Where I work we have 4 commercial units made by Black Gold. Two are 200 series single pass exchangers, and two are 340 series with dual pass exchangers. They work very well, we have over 12,000 hours on two of them. They come complete with 200 gallon tanks and the heater sits above. Gun fired, with steady flow fuel pumps, they'll consume up to 40 wt oil of any kind. They have built in air pumps that run off the burner motor (on the end where a normal fuel pump would go on a furnace or boiler). The oil pump is motor driven down on the tank. I clean the fireboxes every 800-1000 hours, and it usually just fine gray light ash, with some occasional clinkers. The stack end had a drop leg and the burner swings away, so a long rake pushes everything straight through and out the bottom.

We've been running them for over 10 years. Great units.

Status
Not open for further replies.