Watch that venison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Well this is disturbing news.

Well that's concerning, but definitely interesting that the animals seem to be mostly unaffected by the virus.

I'm no longer a believer that there will be such a thing as a post-covid era, I think we are stuck with covid now for the long term and I see it quite probable that it will return every year like the common cold or the flu with a slightly different strain, deer now may just provide another mutation source. My only hope is that these strains will be similar enough to the original so that the vaccine and natural antibodies can fight off the virus without hospitalizations.

How do they get the swab up their nose to test?
image.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: ispinwool
SARS-CoV-2 seems to crossover to other mammals fairly easily. It's been reported in pets and zoo animals too.

How do they get the swab up their nose to test?
View attachment 285184
The article says they tested deer that were hunted and roadkill.

Every time she spoke the doc's name, all I could think of was Charo, the coochie-chochie girl! LOL
But ya, covid is here to stay just like the different strains of the flu.

I would think as long as you wash your hands after handling the carcass and raw meat, there should be no issue. Which you should anyway. Just those deer petting zoos might not be such a good idea anymore.

Then again it might be better to just let it transmit to humans so we can stay on top of it. Rather than be blindsided by something that is several variants ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is coming up lately about whether pets should be vaccinated?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Zap, any sign of CWD in the deer herd in your area?
Not that I've heard of , I haven't seen any signs of it when I've seen the deer.

I understand that they have discovered some in Pennsylvania
I'm sure they have and NYS most likely has cases of it. I'll look on our DEC website for a map of NYS cases.

Reactions: rottiman