Watching this makes my legs and back hurt ! Cool vid though.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After burning through a few bungee cords trying that method, I stopped. My aim isn't perfect and the fiskars are darn sharp :). I should try the tire method though.

7:46 about takes out the camera==c

Reactions: ScotO
7:46 about takes out the camera==c

Did you actually watch 7 minutes and 46 seconds of somebody splitting wood?
file.php
file.php

He just looks so stiff and does not follow through on the swing. He's gotta be sore !

Pete

He just looks so stiff and does not follow through on the swing. He's gotta be sore !

Pete

My best guess is that he cut through a few bungees himself and found that he had to pull up once the wood started splitting to avoid it :)

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Did you actually watch 7 minutes and 46 seconds of somebody splitting wood?
file.php
file.php
The proximity of the camera made me do it

Reactions: ScotO
He needs to learn to slide that top hand down and flick his wrists. I am sore watching...

The proximity of the camera made me do it

If he got the camera we would never have seen the video.
signoops.gif
But I was hoping for something stupid also.!!!

Looks typical but not terribly effective.

THIS is the way to do it.....harder to cut the chain with the axe. However, you CAN make a bunch of dimples on your blade if you have bad aim!!

My best guess is that he cut through a few bungees himself and found that he had to pull up once the wood started splitting to avoid it :)

At the 3:30 mark when he is re-splitting splits without the bungee present, he is following through all the way with the top hand sliding down to the bottom of the ax handle. Yeah, all I know is that hydraulics is the way to go on a truckload of rounds. I use the fiskars for re-splitting stuff as I take it out of the racks and determine that it needs to be split again. I just put a small round between me and the one I want to split and it stops the axe from hitting the asphalt.

Reactions: bboulier and ScotO
At the 3:30 mark when he is re-splitting splits without the bungee present, he is following through all the way with the top hand sliding down to the bottom of the ax handle. Yeah, all I know is that hydraulics is the way to go on a truckload of rounds. I use the fiskars for re-splitting stuff as I take it out of the racks and determine that it needs to be split again. I just put a small round between me and the one I want to split and it stops the axe from hitting the asphalt.

Yep , the fiskars is a good tool, but anything more than a couple of rounds or and doing some re splitting, it is time to plug in the splitter ==c
I have used a tire and it works well

Do all you guys chop your firewood up into almost kindling size splits?

I usually chop mine so fine it resembles sawdust. It ignites better that way.

Reactions: Shane N
Following advice learned on this forum, I split in a variety of sizes. I like some smaller splits for starting fires, some larger splits to put in the back for longer burns, and a mix for stuffing the box full. My fireplace is built for E/W loading, but I usually cut shorter (18 inches) than would fit in the box and use the remaining space for uglies and leftovers put in N/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.