Water dripping from stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
As you all know the stove is gone but what kinda trouble will water running into my stove do over the summer?Unhooking it gonna be the only solution?All pipe unhooked from ceiling box down and water running from inside dripping on floor.

It would be good to understand why water is coming down the pipe. If this is rare and due to very strong winds and hard rain driving water under the cap, then it may not be too serious. If there is a flaw in the sealing of the pipe that is another matter.

Describe the setup from the support box up. Is the water definitely coming from the inside of the pipe? Can you get on the roof to check this out? If so, take a camera for pictures.

I got into the kneewall and can see up to the storm collar and the water is coming straight down the outside of the pipe.Between the storm collar and the pipe. can't get on the roof.In other words if there is a seal between the storm collar and the pipe it isn't sealed well.Just a fine drip once in awhile.It is raining hard and 30 plus winds.never had this happen till this storm.

005.JPG

The water you can see running down the reflection.Well you can see the drips,it's not a solid stream.It stops now and then.In the next picture you can see the seam where the collar is put together,it's the gap between the vent holes.It's following the pipe down right there.That pic is taken looking up at the roof and collar from the kneewall.

Could be the storm collar was not installed or sealed properly.What type pipe is this? I have had Selkirk drip from the seam, past the storm collar. The only thing that fixed it was to silicone the seam up the first length out of the collar. That worked well.

Selkirk,where this collar is put together there is a 1/4" gap away from the pipe.What would you suggest to take what heat there is at this point of installation? This is not a seam in the pipe it's where the collar is put together.I think you may have thought i said the pipe seam where as you mentioned sealing the seam up to the top above the collar.Seal the top of the collar where it meets the pipe?

Seal the storm collar from the top. Regular GE Silicone II adhesive or other good quality silicone works fine. The exterior of the pipe stays well below its temp rating. Clean the surface well first for a good bond, give it a generous bead and the work it in and smoothly.

To seal a storm collar properly but a bead of high temperature silicon around where the pipe comes through the flashing. Cinch the storm collar together above it and then slide it down the pipe, squishing the bead under it. Them put a bead of silicon on top of the storm collar where it meets the pipe. It does have to be redone after a period of time so this would be a good time to put a new seal on it. If the water is coming down the outside of the Class A chimney then this is the most likely place to find the leak.

This shouldn't be leaking at all considering it was put in last fall and i thank ya both for the advice

Call the installer and have him come seal the collar correctly!
Silicone must be worked in, spreading it with your finger in both directions to help it contact and seal properly.After you have it on there and spread, you can finish with a finger covered in your spit to smooth it out, and it won't stick to your finger.
Also the oil on the collar is it had oil on it would have to be cleaned of real good first. Brake cleaner spray works great for that.

Ya there is no seal whatsoever i'd say with that amount of light coming in.

That would be a big omission, but fortunately the fix is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.