Water is Dripping off My Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
KD9Zo8Pl.jpg

Merry Christmas. I built this addition two years ago. I hired out the stove installation because I didn't want to get up on a metal roof with a 12:12 pitch.

I checked out the install guy thoroughly, it is a local family owned business that has been operating for 30 years and has a good rep. The installer is the 35 year old son of the company owner, he has been doing this since he was 12 years old.

On top, on the outside of the stove pipe, he installed a flexible plastic/rubber boot that is about 2 feet square. It fits around the pipe and it lays flat on the roof, on top of the metal. It has glue on the bottom of it.
As it is flexible it conforms to the ridges of the roof.
He said this is what he has been using on metal roofs for years and it works great.

Well it was installed 2 years ago and it did work great. This morning I saw water dripping off of the black metal box that goes up through the roof. It is raining hard today.

I was getting about one drip every ten seconds, landing on my beautiful hand made stone hearth.

We had a snowstorm ten days ago. Heavy wet snow with no wind, the snow lay 7 inches deep on the roof, and stayed there for 2 or 3 days.
During the day, 35 degrees, at night, 28 degrees.

I think this leak is related to the snow.

I love that Jotul 500 and so does the fiancee and it it the centerpiece of our new room, and here I got a leak at Christmas. It makes me feel sick.

Help.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 218277

Merry Christmas. I built this addition two years ago. I hired out the stove installation because I didn't want to get up on a metal roof with a 12:12 pitch.

I checked out the install guy thoroughly, it is a local family owned business that has been operating for 30 years and has a good rep. The installer is the 35 year old son of the company owner, he has been doing this since he was 12 years old.

On top, on the outside of the stove pipe, he installed a flexible plastic/rubber boot that is about 2 feet square. It fits around the pipe and it lays flat on the roof, on top of the metal. It has glue on the bottom of it.
He said this is what he has been using on metal roofs for years and it works great.

Well it was installed 2 years ago and it did work great. This morning I saw water dripping off of the black metal box that goes up through the roof. It is raining hard today.

I was getting about one drip every ten seconds, landing on my beautiful hand made stone hearth.

We had a snowstorm ten days ago. Heavy wet snow with no wind, the snow lay 7 inches deep on the roof, and stayed there for 2 or 3 days.

I love that Jotul 500 and so does the fiancee and it it the centerpiece of our new room, and here I got a leak at Christmas. It makes me feel sick.

Help.
Sorry to hear about the leak. Do you have a metal bucket?

Bummer. It's small and fuzzy, but that looks more like a metal flashing in the picture. Looks can be deceiving though. Can you post a closer picture of the flashing?

View attachment 218277

Help.
Did you call the installer? Stuff happens no matter how good of carefull you are things will go wrong from time to time. It is all on how the company responds.

I called the company, they guy is going to come out tomorrow to fix it.

My money is on the storm collar not being sealed properly.

My money is on the storm collar not being sealed properly.
I'm thinking that to, since the guy is going up there ask if he can also place a bead of clear silicone down the seam of the class a pipe to.