water jacket idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
I've been considering different ideas for anti-corrosive water jacket and fire box. We have a "marathon" water heater and it uses a fiberglass and polybutene water tank that is designed to with stand high pressure and doesn't need anodes b/c it won't corrode. Has anyone ever tried using anything of this concept in a water jacket to help prevent the corroding and leaking that occurs-primarily w/ OWB?

My wondering is if the fiberglass and polybutene would be able to withstand the high heat involved, but I was hoping that somone smarter than I would be able to offer any thoughts. :) Also, does anyone have any thoughts or sucess w/ coatings for fireboxes and water jackets (ie. powder coatings, etc.) that would be more resistant to rust and coroding?

thx

One of the issues that you have to consider is what happens if things go wrong. Many people here have had situations where the boiler reached unintended temperatures for a variety of reasons. Steel is pretty forgiving compared to fiberglass.

I would say that trying to improve on the firebox in a "box of water w/ a fire in it" style OWB is somewhat of a pointless exercise, as the basic design concept is a problem to begin with. An OWB not only isn't ever going to get hot enough to really burn efficiently, it also isn't going to get hot enough to prevent the condensation that causes the rust and corrosion in the first place.

Seems better to switch to a gassifier type design, which seems to be an extremely long lived product so long as proper attention is paid to providing appropriate return water temperature protection. It runs hot enough to prevent the corrosion causing condensation, and does so more efficiently, thus saving on wood as well.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.