Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nikoafc

Dec 15, 2018
NI
Hello,

I have bought new house year and a half ago and I never had issues with my stove. It started recently and the water is leaking from the gap between pipe and chimney wall. See picture below?

Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe

Is this because i haven't been using my stove for long time and some water accumulated there? Last time i used my stove was last winter.

I have been using it now for couple of hours just to see if the water evaporate but its dripping even more and it filled half of a jar already. Its only leaking when stove is well heated.

I am a bit worried and dont know what should i do now i have no knowledge what set up i have to be honest.

Should i contact developer/foreman who was building my house?

CHeers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I have bought new house year and a half ago and I never had issues with my stove. It started recently and the water is leaking from the gap between pipe and chimney wall. See picture below?

View attachment 235816

Is this because i haven't been using my stove for long time and some water accumulated there? Last time i used my stove was last winter.

I have been using it now for couple of hours just to see if the water evaporate but its dripping even more and it filled half of a jar already. Its only leaking when stove is well heated.

I am a bit worried and dont know what should i do now i have no knowledge what set up i have to be honest.

Should i contact developer/foreman who was building my house?

CHeers
Can we see a pic of it from further back.

Can we see a pic of it from further back.
Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe
So that is how it looks.

Why there is only 1 side of the pipe sealed with this thing and the back and other side where is brown stain after leak not? Is this not finished properly? Is it mortar or i dont know the name of it sorry i am foreigner.

The leak is only from that side which looks unfinished and it starts drip heavier when there is a big fire and stove is really hot. Now after 3-4 hours of burning it stopped but im still worried. Do i need to burn all the time to prevent water to accumulated there or the problem is somewhere else?

I haven't spotted any leaks when stove is cold

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Ick. The chimney should be installed so each connection is dripless meaning liquid water and tar on the inside will run down into the stove.

If that is done properly then your water has to come from outside of the chimney which must be rain or possibly condensation of interior air.

The drips look dark. Follow them up to the source.

Im trying to figure out why new construction looks like that. What are we even looking at? Sloppy mess IMO.

Yeah that is very unprofessional. I can't see enough of it to know what's going on but it just looks bad

Almost looks like a metal roof with spray foam shot right onto it and a big hole chewed away for the 2” clearance. Leaking silicone boot?

Or maybe a concrete ceiling.

Location is NI. Is that a state? Ireland?

Almost looks like a metal roof with spray foam shot right onto it and a big hole chewed away for the 2” clearance. Leaking silicone boot?

Yes, Northern Ireland.

Yes, Northern Ireland.

I live in Northern Ireland.

Its probably a rain. I was burning that they for long time and after that leak stopped but is there any way to avoid that? In here we suffer from winds and heavy rain and i dont want to get my stove leaking every time i want to use it.

Now im having same problem leaking again after we had a bad weather in here :(

Is it fixable? What do you suggest me to do. Can i do it myself or should i call the guy?

Cheers

Based on all of your answers to our questions I would call a guy. You most likely have a roof leak. Your home can be damaged from the water whether you burn wood or not.

Based on all of your answers to our questions I would call a guy. You most likely have a roof leak. Your home can be damaged from the water whether you burn wood or not.

Its new development do you think i have a chace to get it checked and fixed under my house warranty? Is it worth putting pressure on developer to look into that? I bought this house in May 2017

Yes. Have it checked under warranty. There is a possibility that this water is penetrating other areas and causing rot. The chimney flashing should be checked carefully by an expert.

Its new development do you think i have a chace to get it checked and fixed under my house warranty? Is it worth putting pressure on developer to look into that? I bought this house in May 2017

Certainly ask. The man can say no warranty or he will charge you but either way it must be fixed.

I thought everyone in Ireland lived in old rock huts eating potatoes and drinking Guinness while gathered around an oil lamp for heat. Apparently I need to do some international travel and get up to date!

Reactions: weatherguy
The pubs are still there, but the towns have grown a bit.
Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe Water leaking/dripping from stove pipe

Reactions: Highbeam
It's not correct so it is a warranty issue IMO. Do others in that development have the same issue? If you have a long run of uninsulated single wall pipe outside it will act like a creosote still and condensation will flow down the pipe.