1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Water to Air heat exchanger?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by NCFord, Apr 14, 2013.

1. NCFord

NCFord Member

Loc:
    central NC
    Would a Water to Air heat exchanger ever work in place of a copper coil to heat water storage?
    I have a friend who is convinced it will but I don't think it will work. My boiler is only going to "charge"
    my water stoage, I then have an open loop that will supply the house with heat and DHW. The advantage of the Water to Air H.E. would simply be the cost. I large H.E is only about $200. Since I have the open loop to the house I could even direct the return water past the exchanger. I know that
    for a water to water exchanger to work it's all about surface area, and with a Water to Air H.E. there will be less copper, but the alum. fins would help, I guess. I don't know about this idea, but it might be worth talking about?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. arngnick

arngnick Member

Loc:
    Mansfield, PA
    I say yes but I would oversize it and since there are many joints in these hx they may be prone to fail compared to a solid copper line. I have seen people use pex for hx if that may be an option. I am also on the edge for which direction to go when I add a solar loop to my system...just my two cents
  3. NCFord

NCFord Member

Loc:
    central NC
    Thanks, that's more positive than I expected. There are lost of joints but they used all the time and
    don't really leak. I always pressure test just to be sure though.