1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

water well / foot valve problems

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by chrisasst, Apr 22, 2012.

1. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I think there's still a leak, it just takes longer for the pump to turn on because the tank is working properly now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    well, it didn't loose prime the other night when we had it shut off, which I was shocked.
    This tank just looks like a pain to be able to remove. All the piping looks rusty. I guess maybe a good torching will help.
  3. ROVERT

ROVERT Member

You should remove the old tank. If you don't, it will just leak down the road and you will be wishing you had removed it. Post some pics and we can give you an idea of how to proceed.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Did you check the schrader valve for an air leak, that's an easy fix. Beyond that, junk the tank.
  5. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    yes, no leak there. Here are some pics for what its worth..

GEDC0526.JPG GEDC0527.JPG GEDC0530.JPG

Attached Files:

6. ROVERT

ROVERT Member

I would take it apart at the union and replace the pipe from there to the tank. Put a valve in and a boiler drain just like it is now. I'd do it in plastic and brass.

If you're really worried about losing prime, you can try the following:

[​IMG]

Close the valve and drain the tank first. Now cut (hacksaw or sawzall) at the red line. Un-thread the cut off nipple from the valve (blue arrow).

Remove the old tank and install the new one. If you do it this way, assuming the piping going to the tank is 3/4", you'll need two 3/4" brass close nipples, a 3/4" brass union (FIP x FIP), a 3/4" brass tee, a 3/4" boiler drain, a 1" brass nipple, a 1" x 3/4" reduced coupling, and a 3/4" brass nipple. The 1" brass nipple, the reduced couple, and the 3/4" brass nipple, when put together, will have to be of suitable length to stick out from the new tank by a few inches when threaded in. Thread the tee onto that just like it is now. Boiler drain out one side, close nipple, union, close nipple into the valve out the other.