Way too cool! (A morning coffee ramble you've probably heard before.)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
With much angst over the last couple of weeks, I finally pulled the old Riteway 2000 with it's massive bread box and put in the little Lopi Liberty.
I watched "the movie" three times over the last few months and when the big moment came last night, I built a fire the same way anyone would, but not like she shows in the movie.
I finally get the stove, ever so slowly, to top out at 300 degrees. "Oh boy, my woods too wet. I need to get a moisture meter in the morning. What's the matter with this thing. The fire started easy enough and the stove is sure easy to get around in. I knew I wouldn't like it. That blower sure puts out a ton of heat. Maybe it's robbing heat. I know why that guy pulled his new stove and put the old one back in. This just doesn't work right. What do I do? What do I do?"
The answer was easy, load it up and see if it'll go all night. I slept on the couch to make sure it didn't get away. The temperature dropped to 200 degrees and the blower blew a surprising amount of heat all night. "It should be a lot hotter."
At 6:00a.m. I can see some embers and get up for a better look. Half the glass was dark brown and the other half was a horrible charred black. I immediately think, "razorblade." But first, a peek inside. Interesting; a bunch of glowing coals in the front and the log in back was still fairly intact but it was nowhere near as hot as everyone said it would be.
Lucky for me a light bulb went on and I realized the stove was just now actually ready for a good hot fire. It was all heated up and had a nice big bed of coals. Remembering what you taught me, I went out and got some small splits. I laid a couple across the coals with a lot of space between them and I put a couple diagonally on top. I closed the door, watched it take off, and after fifteen minutes, I reduced the air. That baby was rollin' and then the secondaries kicked in, "holy moley, too cool!" Within minutes the nasty stuff on the glass had melted away like a light morning frost on the windshield (600 degrees).
I'll spare you all the details but three hours later, with an outside temp of 45 degrees, the house door is wide open and the computer fan is running on high. It's going to be a fantastic winter with lots to understand. I hope it gets really cold.
My buddies don't understand what the big deal is so I needed to share it with my secret friends. How gay. Oh well, you guys understand.
Thank-you, thank-you-
controlled chaos

On a side note; I was reading the old thread about the zealot who was writing you e-mails about the horribilities of burning wood and it reminded me of the time we were building a new car dealership. Came into work on Arbor Day and on the big construction sign out front, someone had written "Developers Burn In Hell." I remember wondering if that person bought his/her car out of a field of naturally occuring perennial wildflowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.