Weak burn from Brand new Esw 25-pvd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebago Smith

Nov 16, 2014
Maine
Seeking the opinions of those with far more experience in the matter than me. Recently (3-4 weeks ago) installed a 25-pvd from Esw, need some suggestions on fine tuning. Problems I am having are:

Incomplete burn- after 4-5 hours burn pot is filled with a mix of semi-dense black ash and unburned pellet bits about grain of rice size. It does eventually choke out the fire.

Small flame of orange yellow color, barely reaches 1/3 up the window.

Stove is new and very clean in all air holes and wear plate holes.
Have tried c and d mode, checked air intake for obstruction, changed LBA settings.
Currently running 6-4-1 as recommended.
Burning energex premium softwood pellets.
Exhaust pipe is 3" T piece, into Another 18" x 3" (vertical) , then into 6" adapter with an 18' vertical run of 6" pipe(no bends, except T piece of course). Any insight would be much appreciated.

Exactly which stove do you have? Need model number from the plate on the stove.

6-4-1 may need to be changed but first the model and year of manufacture.

Denser pellets need more air. Less dense less air. Small pieces more air, longer less air. This compensates for individual pellet batches.

Then we might have to adjust for that 6" 18 feet of back pressure in your vent system.

Then the all important question of what heat range are you running at?

If I was going to experiment I'd lower that lower burn fuel rate to 5 and let it run for awhile etc .... or my preferred get in touch with ESW tell them exactly how the stove is set up and remember if you don't have it OAKed that they know that as well and will likely tell you to install it.

Appreciate the response. Model is 25-pdv, mfr date is 7/13. Currently running in C mode, heat range 5, blower speed 6. Took your advice about pellet size and density. Using a softwood pellet averaging .5"-1" in length. I lowered the burn air a few and the lower feed rate to 5, brightest flame I have seen
yet. Air coming from convection blower much nicer as well. I will let it run like this for a few hours to see how the ash looks, hopefully it will stop clogging the burn pot. Out of curiosity, what would you do to balance the back pressure caused by having such a long run of stove pipe?

Appreciate the response. Model is 25-pdv, mfr date is 7/13. Currently running in C mode, heat range 5, blower speed 6. Took your advice about pellet size and density. Using a softwood pellet averaging .5"-1" in length. I lowered the burn air a few and the lower feed rate to 5, brightest flame I have seen
yet. Air coming from convection blower much nicer as well. I will let it run like this for a few hours to see how the ash looks, hopefully it will stop clogging the burn pot. Out of curiosity, what would you do to balance the back pressure caused by having such a long run of stove pipe?

Air rate should go up. What you had and maybe still have is an air/fuel imbalance.

Setting them is an all around compromise you just want to make sure the fire is getting the correct air flow and that the air is as oxygen rich as possible and no more than that amount of air flow that means you had better have that OAK hooked up. Inside air is frequently less than needed and low in oxygen content.

Too much air flow sends the heat up the flue and too little makes a mess of the burn causing unnecessary build up.

But the folks at ESW can usually get you in the right direction fairly fast and really should be consulted before changing the lower three buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.