Weak Draft: Is the Gusty Arctic Snow Storm System to Blame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Hi,

Is this normal?

I am having poor draft problems. I have been burning fine with excellent draft all burning season until this new arctic windy weather system hit yesterday. I have never burned in weather this cold and windy before.

The only way I get a strong draft is if I get a burn around 650F.

Any suggestions or ideas about the weak draft at lower temps?

Thanks!

Here is my current weather situation:

Snowing
Temp: 11F
Wind: 22 mph
Temp with wild chill: Feels like -6F

Current stove setup:

Lopi Endeavor
Excell ICC double walled pipe going straight up in central location of a one level ranch.

Could be the chimney location relative to the current winds. Got a picture showing the house and roof with chimney?

Reactions: isipwater
Could be because of high pressure in the atmosphere also.

Usually the colder it is outside the stronger the draft gets. How tall is your chimney set up?

I live in central MA and the wood practically got sucked up the flue when I went to go load the stove this morning.

I'd think if it were just the odd northerly wind direction you'd have noticed it before.

Your chimney cap is not blocked or missing ?

I'd think if it were just the odd northerly wind direction you'd have noticed it before.

This is a good point. High moisture content wood or a cool fire can cause more condensation than you'd expect. It can easily ice up a chimney cap. I burn 20% MC wood and burn it hot and had a good collection of icicles this morning.

My chimney cap is there, not blocked but does have some ice hanging from it. First time I have seen ice on it. It that normal given my temps?

That's really strange...usually colder weather increases our draft, and wind REALLY increases it...

What temp do you usually burn at (I assume this is settled in cruising temp you're talking about)?

That's really strange...usually colder weather increases our draft, and wind REALLY increases it...

What temp do you usually burn at (I assume this is settled in cruising temp you're talking about)?
I usually try to burn around 500-550F. But it is hard to get it that hot right now. Usually, it gets there extremely fast and I have to watch it carefully.

You are posting a Google link instead of directly here. Could be your cap is starting to plug up if the wood is marginal.

The only time we seem to be lacking in draft is usually just before a storm moves in. Doesn't cause any problems but we do notice it.

Yeah, it looks like you have to be a member of google plus to see the pics, it's asking me to sign up....

You can upload the pics directly from your PC.

Yeah, it looks like you have to be a member of google plus to see the pics, it's asking me to sign up....

Let's try again, here are some photos of the metal chimney...
IMAG0018.jpg IMAG0021.jpg IMAG0019.jpg IMAG0016.jpg IMAG0017.jpg

Usually the colder it is outside the stronger the draft gets. How tall is your chimney set up?

I live in central MA and the wood practically got sucked up the flue when I went to go load the stove this morning.
The chimney setup is 17'

OK, nothing showing there that would impede draft. Last year about this time our cap screen plugged up. It had similar symptoms. It "seemed" fine when viewed from the ground. I would pull the cap as soon as is reasonably possible and check the chimney pipe up top too.

OK, nothing showing there that would impede draft. Last year about this time our cap screen plugged up. It had similar symptoms. It "seemed" fine when viewed from the ground. I would pull the cap as soon as is reasonably possible and check the chimney pipe up top too.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Actually, the problem seems to have resolved. The wind has died down so perhaps that was the problem. I will get up on the roof in a day or two to check it out further. It it good to have the hot stove back since the low will be -4F tonight, not counting windchill!

Good to hear you are back in biz. Could be the weather, but it doesn't hurt to do a mid-season check on the flue if convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.