Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
63F out at 7pm. 70F in the house, last fire was 2 nights ago. I got 300 seed cells planted and might fire up tonight just so they can germinate. I usually have no problem keeping the house mid 70's this time of year, but now even a small fire puts me close to 80F - that is just too hot. I guess we will open a few windows, but that just feels like throwing money away!
Still waiting for winter here in lower Michigan as well. We experienced some good stove weather a couple of times but it's been rainy and 40's all week. Even getting into the 50's this weekend. What the hell! Where is winter?

-30F last week, and +40F this week. I've cut back on the fires lately, and I've noticed the reverse draft, and have noticed the smell of ashes in the basement. One thing a fire does in this house is keep the air fresh!

There's plenty of cold in Canada, it's been bottled up for the most part.

Dreary day here in VA, did a quick poplar fire to keep the FA off. House at 70 just some embers left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If these temps continue, I'm on pace for a electricity bill in the low-$400s compared with Dec 11- Jan 11 which was $665 [emoji46]

Disregard the 26th and 27th numbers, I didn't have the Eyedro completely installed yet.

747c82613012881f62a3334d6201d8a1.png

I've been having many opportunities to clean out all the ashes. It's rough when I do have to get the stove going from a cold start, and the missus is looking to take the chill out of the upstairs (stove is in the basement... for this year). We're usually ready to head out to work just as the stove starts throwing some good heat.

The past couple days I've kept the stove going round the clock, so the electric heat hasn't been on much, even though daytime temps here are in the 40s-50s in the northeast corner of PA.

Reactions: Squisher
I've been having many opportunities to clean out all the ashes. It's rough when I do have to get the stove going from a cold start, and the missus is looking to take the chill out of the upstairs (stove is in the basement... for this year). We're usually ready to head out to work just as the stove starts throwing some good heat.

The past couple days I've kept the stove going round the clock, so the electric heat hasn't been on much, even though daytime temps here are in the 40s-50s in the northeast corner of PA.

I heat from the basement too and just added the upstairs insert this year. The versatility of having two stoves has been really helpful for me as far as raising temps fast if I want to. It means more firestarting at times and tending but heck I run a third stove in my shop a lot of the winter too. I make a lot of kindling in any given year.

Reactions: SaltyWoodsman
Wife called and said some trees fell at the neighbors house. Guess I'll have some more poplar. Hopefully the wind and rain does down so I can go cut enough up so he can get in.

499155070d53951c864f6fda4d658f34.jpg
f06f8107012fac32ba47a782650ccca1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I'm hoping that the natural trend continues and all the Vermont ski areas get shut down so the flatlanders leave the area and I can use my wood stove as a door stop.