1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Web hosting

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by drewmo, Dec 4, 2013.

1. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Looking for any an all recommendations on a reputable (yet inexpensive) web hosting company. I'm helping my sister set up a web site for her retail store. We're using Wordpress and WooCommerce to design the site and a few other widgets for payment and shipping. Who's using what and for why?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I been using these guys since 1999
    Used to be $9.95 a month, now recently went to $14.95 a month.
    I don't sell anything on my site though, so not sure what a business account would cost.

http://www.web.com/
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I guess the question becomes "what is inexpensive"?

Wordpress and shopping scripts are memory and process hogs, meaning they use a lot of power to keep them going. If the site is very slow, your shoppers are liable to leave. Also, if the site goes down, you will lose cred and revenue.

Much depends on whether you need support...and how quickly....when you are setting things up and/or having problems.

If this is a situation where few sales are expected at first, that stuff may not be as important. But it quickly gets that way! I had my drone site at a host that ended up being down for many hours each week!

Also, your server should be located in the basic region where you think most of your visitors are going to come from. This will result in quicker response times.

Basically, you have these options...

1. Shared hosting - this puts you on a server (computer) with hundreds of other accounts. Sometimes it can be fast if the other couple hundred sites are not busy...BUT, then again it can be very slow. These packages tend to run from $5 to $25 per month.

2. VPS - Virtual Private Server - in the case, you probably share a server computer with 10 to 20 other accounts BUT a certain portion of the computer is sliced up so you have the full power of it all the time. As an example, if the server has 4 3GHZ processors, you may be buying access to 1GHZ (1/3 of one of the CPU's) plus some of the RAM and Hard Drive spaces. These packages are usually $40 to $100+.

I have a small VPS (about $40) for my drone site but will not recommend it as the company is small and does not offer hand holding for those not familiar with the tech parts of things. I've heard decent things about this company - and it also gives you an idea of what you get for the $$
    http://www.hostforweb.com/vps/
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    We ran a small e-commerce site hosted by godaddy.com and were leary going in. But the service and performance were flawless for four years. And dirt cheap. We were on a shared server but never noticed it. If traffic and business had gotten to the point we could have bumped up the arrangement.
  5. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    My wife is starting her business and is using godaddy as well, so far so good.
  6. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I've been on 1&1 for about 10 years now. Been pretty happy.

Given that I'm a Linux amin and do web/cloud ops for a living, I'm kicking around the idea of moving all my stuff to a dedicated VM on Digital Ocean.

Maybe take a look at squarespace.com. I've heard great things about then from about half a dozen different friends.

-SF
  7. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Just be dang sure to read ALL THE FINE PRINT. As with anything devil in the details. And just like every other service no one seems accountable for anything should problems arise. ( and they do and will)
  8. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    I use 1&1 also. Couldn't be happier.
  9. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Thanks, everyone. All good advice. As we build the site and test it, we're on a month-to-month plan with GoDaddy at a pretty affordable price. The fine print will drive you crazy. I came across DreamHost yesterday. Any thoughts?
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If godaddy is working for development, roll it out there. They are damn reliable. If you need to move it later you can do it seamlessly and just leave the domain registration there. We never had one outage. And being in the racket for 38 years that blew my mind. That just does not happen.

Real hard to beat their domain registration fee.
  11. Mary Briggeman

Mary Briggeman New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    GoDaddy hosting is known for its reliability, though personally I dislike their interface. I do web design and hosting on the side and have sites with three different companies at the moment: Liquid Web for the VPS, and GreenGeeks and NameCheap for the shared hosting. Paid clients are on the VPS, less important stuff on the shared hosting accounts. Both Green Geeks and Name Cheap have been excellent and Liquid Web has been superb (and they have US-based techs on the 24-hour live support phone lines - I've even called them at 3AM and gotten a live tech on the line!). For a commercial site, I would go with a VPS account to eliminate the worry of having poor neighbors on shared hosting.